How many have wives who think it's the truth?

by drew sagan 34 Replies latest jw friends

• choosing life
    choosing life

Hey Drew,

I have a husband who still believes, so can I tag along for crumbs that might help?

• undercover
    undercover
    For over two years I struggled with what to do when it came to my wife. At a few points I actually almost gave up all hope. There are so many things I have never shared with the JWD community regarding this and I wanted to know if those of you who are going through this would be interested in me getting as much of it as I can down in writing for you to read and digest.

Thanks for that Drew...

I don't mention it very often, but I too am one that has a "believing" mate.

I'm fortunate in that she is intelligent, logical and isn't afraid to disagree or debate to some degree with other JWs who blindly follow dogma without question.

What's unfortunate is that for all her intelligiance and independance, she's still trapped in believing that it is the "truth" despite the certain amount of independance she exhibits.

It's amazing to watch, not to mention frustrating, how an intelligent, logical thinking person switches to cult-think/speak whenever the subject of JWs or the WTS comes up. I can almost see her eyes glaze over. Her brain absolutely shuts down and goes into auto-pilot.

What might be helpful in addition to your thoughts and experiences is that if your wife was to share some of her thoughts and how she came to realize that what you were sharing with her wasn't the ramblings of a madman. Only if she was willing, that is.

• still_in74
    still_in74

(Still in raises hand to both the question and the offer)

• drew sagan
    drew sagan
    What might be helpful in addition to your thoughts and experiences is that if your wife was to share some of her thoughts and how she came to realize that what you were sharing with her wasn't the ramblings of a madman. Only if she was willing, that is.

I was thinking the same exact thing! I'll have to see if she is up to it.

• TheListener
    TheListener

Count me in.

My wife isn't a zealot but she still believes it. She's flexible with certain rules but at the end of the day, she believes it.

Your posts have been very helpful - this idea is great.

thank you so much.

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

My wife isn't a zealot anymore, but she still thinks it's "the truth" and that "Jehovah will sort things out."

Trouble is, this will never happen. She doesn't study for any of the meetings or even read the publications. She's in it for the social life and the

fact that others tell her what to believe and how to worship. She just likes the community spirit, if there is such a thing.

• erandir
    erandir

Hey Drew,

I have a husband who still believes, so can I tag along for crumbs that might help?

D'oh!

That men's club mindset that the WT instilled in us is hard to get rid of, eh?

I'm sure this wasn't your intention, Drew...just making a jest.

• flipper
    flipper

Drew- I had an ex-wife who was a witness, married 19 years . Of course I was too then, however it was hard because she was fanatical and overbearing with her beliefs and takes on things. Made me throw out the movie "Jaws" because the kids would be harmed as young teenagers, jeez! But she threatened me after the divorce and I got out of the org. She said," If any of our 3 kids get out of the witnesses, I'm going to blame it on you, and you'll live to regret it!" And since the divorce in 1998, she has tried to turn my family against me since my son 22 got out 4 years ago. She has tried to make good on these threats for 9 years now. Scary, crazy witness woman. Thank god I now have a non-witness wife and we finally are living in peace 3 counties away from the crazy lady! Here's to all you men hoping to hell your wives get out of that cult! I have a non witness wife and feel grateful. Peace to you all, Mr. Flipper

• GoingGoingGone
    GoingGoingGone
    It's amazing to watch, not to mention frustrating, how an intelligent, logical thinking person switches to cult-think/speak whenever the subject of JWs or the WTS comes up. I can almost see her eyes glaze over. Her brain absolutely shuts down and goes into auto-pilot.

undercover - You could be describing my husband here.

I'd love any tips anyone can offer. You never know what might work.

GGG

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Me - my wife does

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit