All current JWs: What is this?

by AuldSoul 45 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

The Bible Students in 1918 numbered very few, fewer than 6,000. Within three years, the number tripled.

The "intriguing subject" they proclaimed from 1918 through 1922 was "Millions Now Living Will Never Die." Upwards of 70,000 attended to hear this message proclaimed in Germany alone. The talk series had a longer title, "The World Has Ended—Millions Now Living Will Never Die." The message was distributed in written form to millions of people in 30 languages. (Proclaimers, chapter 22, p. 425)

Since the world had not ended in 1914, as the talk proclaimed, and people of merely 20 years of age who heard the talk are now from 104 to 109 years of age, if they are still breathing at all, was this talk and preaching campaign an instance of false prophecy? If not, what was it?

In other words, were the beginnings of real organizational growth spawned by truth or by untruths?

I am very curious to know why the Watchtower Society seems to speak glowingly of this talk series to this very day, when in my opinion, the outrageous claims it made were obviously not true. So if any active JWs could please help me understand why I should not regard this talk series and preaching campaign as false prophecy, I would appreciate them sharing their rationale.

• minimus
    minimus

I'm an inactive JW.

So I'm qualified to give you an answer. Sad to say, the Watchtower is built on untruth. Witnesses are not encouraged to read older publications because they are "old light". Actually, if we were to read ANY Watchtower, cover to cover from dear Brother Russell to Rutherford----we would be totally confused! It's like a different religion from its inception!

And yes, predicting things on a regular basis and always having to admit that you were wrong = a false prophet per Deuteronomy.

I hope this helps, Auld Soul.

• scholar
    scholar

Auld Soul

You sent me a pm regarding the matter of that famous lecture. I could not respond because I could not access the Reply feature on this forum. There must be a technical glitch which the Administrator of the Forum must fix.

My response to your inquiry is simply this. Have you read a transcript of the Lecture? Or are you simply relying on hearsay about so called specific prophecies? One must get all of the facts first. When you get the specific points then I will proceed further with you and kindly help you in this matter.

Regards

scholar JW

• Brain Dead
    Brain Dead

It's very apparent they were exploiting and manipulating the good book for their purposes, call it coercion with intent to gain power and also to commercialize their products

the unfortunate thing is that it worked....... thanks Auldsoul for pointing this out !

Maybe America really is the land of the free.

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis

holy crap it's scholar! Heya there Scholar.

bsom

exjw

• minimus
    minimus

Hey Scholar, just in case you missed it, the belief was that "millions now living may/will never die". Guess what? They were wrong (again). They died! One does not have to read the transcript to know this....Do you disagree?

• Open mind
    Open mind

Eeeewwww. Do I have to? I'm an active JW and I think I know the answer.

It's not a false prophecy because the "current light" says that the Watchtower isn't a "prophet". Even though they have claimed to be a prophet in the past. Sooooo. Hmmmmm. If they were claiming to be a prophet when Judge Drunkaford gave that whopper of a lie, then ...............

On second thought, no I can't answer it.

Open Mind

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

I feel much better now that I'm cult-free.

• Honesty
    Honesty

Welcome back, scholar.

You and I both know that the Watchtower Society said "Millions Now Living WILL NEVER DIE" and a lot of people who are NOW DEAD believed their mushroom food.

BTW, which rabbit hole are you currently using as your permanent address... e-watchman?

• Open mind
    Open mind

Hey there Minimus,

The talk was "....May Never Die" for a very short time until Uncle Joe got cocky and changed it to "...WILL Never Die".

I'll look up the specifics if you want.

Open Mind

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit