did you check out other religions?

by the dreamer dreaming 8 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• the dreamer dreaming
    the dreamer dreaming

It seems to me that many JWs who leave are so anti-religion because of their JW indoctrinations that they rarely investigate much outside of their cultural up bringing....

so how many here have done more than read about things like buddhism, hinduism, new age, etc... actually lived these alternatives rather than just glanced their way?

and what was the result?

• Paralipomenon
    Paralipomenon

Once bitten, twice shy.

When I gave up on the witnesses, I learned to research a religion before committing emotionally.

Out of all of them, I find human corruption everywhere. The best religion I think there is on earth is Buddhism, though I don't agree with reincarnation. They teach tolerance of other views and focus more on the individual attaining enlightenment rather than mass conversion of the earth.

While I appreciate the ideals, there is no basis to prove reincarnation or nirvana other than the testimony of a man This makes it no different than any other religion in my opinion.

• emptywords
    emptywords

No not other religions.....but more into spiritual awakenings. To the average JW it is a religion. and when saying to them that I dont believe in religion they are stunned. I think that is what is going on, although they go around and preach anti relgion they are religious. I'm not and I think that is what most of us on this forum are or arent relgious, we are spiritual.

Come to terms with that and you and me are on our or my way to getting it right.

• eclipse
    eclipse

If I want to worship god, I can read one of the ''holy books'', and pray by myself, and practice what is taught in those books.

I have found that most christian religions are all the same...just men telling other people how to worship god/jesus.

I think the next religion I will check out will be hinduism. Looks interesting!

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

religion to me ------->>>>> alt

• LearningToFly
    LearningToFly

I checked out many religions in reading, and attended a couple churches very briefly. The scariest experience was the Pentecostal Church.

The one belief system I found an appeal to was the Buddhist belief system. I still do reading on it, and feel their view on spirituality in an organization is the best. Alot of what I believe in and already live with goes along with what they teach. But for me, a commitment to anything like this takes time, and sureness that it is the right thing for myself.

"once bitten twice shy is right" I had already believed wholeheartedly in something.. to discover I was wrong..

I do believe that one does not need a faith or organization to be spiritual. I am very spiritual in my own way, and so far it is how I live.

• LtCmd.Lore
    LtCmd.Lore

Yeah, I'm checking out several other religions. I'm looking at them from a different standpoint now. (Not as teachings of Satan.)

I have to agree that my favorite so far is Buddhism. That's just an awesome religion.

I'm also looking into Christadelphianism, I reccomend that all ex-jws do so, because they are SO INSANELY SIMILAR to JW's that they make great counter-arguments for a lot of witness assertions. Especially when they claim that "We're the only ones who believe/do (Insert: Hell is the grave, paradise earth, holySpirit=theForce, no trinity, preaching, homophobic, we are NOT a cult! etc.)"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christadelphianism

Lore

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

I have researched a lot.

However, religion is referred to as a belief or a faith for one very simple reason: no religion can be proven. How do you decide on one unprovable over another? Why?

• sparrow
    sparrow

I believe I'll have another wine. I don't know how I could ever believe in anything ever again. I'm over it. Got another half of a life to live and hopefully I won't go painfully,...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit