Gluttony and Drunkenness

by journey-on 27 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Mum
    Mum

Let's say people were by default judged as gluttonous because of being overweight. If compulsive overeaters were DF'd, what about people with other eating disorders - anorexia, bulimia, or whatever.

My granddaughter is teeny tiny. I have been cautioned by my daughter to say nothing about how thin she is because she is sensitive about it. There is no evidence that she has any eating disorder.

Of the "slow metabolism with speedy metabolism offspring" curse,

SandraC

• emptywords
    emptywords

I find this very interesting, as I do have a family member in law, that is very very obesed and is not allowed privledges or to give a prayer. I have noticed that when these gluttony is mentioned it is usually mentioned with over indulgence in alcohol as the two are one, I really think that the GB is careful on the over eating gluttony and hard on the over indulgence alcohol.

I answered up in a book study that alcohlism and drunkedness are two very different things, one can be an alcoholic and not a drunk and the other can be a drunked but not an alcoholic, he just looked at me like he was overpowered by somebody that knew something so mundane but he didn't.

I drink but I'm not a drunkard, I was asked this by this elder a few times, how is youre drinking, I said I'm not a drunkard and walked away. They love to pick. I do know that the overuse of alcohol is a problem in the org; but those that have been honeset about it get picked on if seen coming out of a bottle shop even if they are only getting crisps or soda water, has happened to me.

On the other side of the debate this same elder was obesed that had a go at me.

• LearningToFly
    LearningToFly

I find the main intent of this question interesting only due to the fact that it too is quoted as being a sin. Although I do agree, it would be a terrible wrong to disfellowship someone due to it. There are many pitfalls humans fall into, often simply to cope with life as it is at the moment, or to numb something that is bothering them. When this happens, instead of disfellowshipping, compassion is needed to assist the individual, which is not always accessible. I know of someone personally whom not to long ago was disfellowshipped for smoking again, this person at the time was dealing with his wifes serious illness of cancer, and for whatever reason chose smoking to help him cope with the overwhelming pressures he was facing. I also know of many who had serious drinking problems as well though, who were not disfellowshipped but continued on for many years doing so.

Growing up within the organization and participating in various social occaisions with the congregation, there was much drinking going on within them. As a youth I questioned this in my mind, wondering why is it okay for this elder to drink several glasses of wine at one sitting, when so clearly the bible states it is wrong. Not just elders were involved either, but the point being, why is it wrong for one, or some, but okay sometimes? There is a double standard in this picture presented, and a double standard in many of the sins the bible deems punishable, simply depending on who is involved.

I guess the point I am trying to make, and what perhaps the original topic was meant to question, was why are certain sins more serious than others? Who decides which is which? It seems it is at the convenience or discretion of whomever is handling the situation at the time, and this hardly seems fair in the larger scheme of things.

• emptywords
    emptywords

Learning to fly...you make some very valid points. The smoking thing was something I had problems with for years, some people are more prone to addictions than others, and circumstances differ. People with anxiety disorders have a huge battle when problems arise and they have addictions or are prone to slip back into habits.

I think smoking was one of the good things that was made a no no. But on the other side I think that there should be more compassion and understanding rather than out right disfellowshiping, there is a difference between wickedness and weekness.

• bob1999
    bob1999

"Since no one else has said it yet, I will: People can be overweight for many reasons besides simply overeating (medications, metabolic problems, etc.) People that make blanket statements asserting that overweight people simply eat too much, implying only a lack of self control, are 99.9% of the time ones who have NEVER struggled with their weight."

Well, let's finish the thought.

Not all fat people are gluttons.

All gluttonous people are fat. (or soon will be.)

There is a distinction there.

Gluttonous people do not struggle with their weight.

I had more to say but if the reader doesn't understand my point by now................there is no point in me going on.

• emptywords
    emptywords

Yes true not all fat people are gluttons, and I think the type of work one does can make a difference, today people sit at computers all day, so the amount of phycical excersise is limited and therefore one should eat less, I think it is habit.

My relative broke both legs and feet and was imobile for a around a year, stacked on the weight, and found it hard to lose it. But still has got almost twice the size since becoming mobile again.

Eating can also be an emotinal thing, eating out of bordom or lonliness is also common.

As I suggested in the first post about alcoholism and gluttony these two were nearly always mentioned together, over indulgence in alcohol is gluttoney.

Voraciousness (eating greedily) eating when one is full, and sometimes the brain does not trigger that one is full that is another mental inormality.

So I guess to disfellowship someone for gluttony how could they actually say that the person is a glutton.

What about sexual gluttony....ha the mind boggles.

Not being satisfied or out of control.

• moomanchu
    moomanchu

I say disfellowship em all, those who do not treat their body as God's temple.

The only way out of getting disfellowshipped is with a doctors excuse!

Anybody know the going rate to bribe a doctor?

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

Although I've heard of people being disfellowshipped for drunkenness, it's been very rare. I know several people who are alcoholics and the elders barely bat an eyelash. One is an MS, but his wife won't let him drive if she or their daughter are in the car. Last I knew, his driver's license had been suspended. He still gives talks at the hall.

I knew a couple who were both addicted to chocolate. They ate ravenous amounts, finally recognized their addiction, and now eat none whatsoever.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit