It Takes More Strength To Be A Non-Conformist

by The wanderer 12 Replies latest jw friends

• The wanderer
    The wanderer

It Takes More Strength To Be A Non-Conformist

Bucking the trend is no easy task. As a Jehovah’s Witness, there was a time
    in which if a man had a mustache or did not wear a white shirt while present-
    ing a public talk it was frowned upon or his privileges were taken away.

During a Watchtower study, I raised my hand to answer a question about religion.

You see I was not agreeing with criticizing, or putting down other religions because
    my reasoning was, if we have the truth why concern ourselves with putting down
    other religious organizations.

That attitude put me in the doghouse.

The Discussion Board

On the discussion board, I seek to stretch the imagination, have individuals think
    outside the box or see issues from a different perspective other than their own.

I was never a fan of “jumping through hoops” of threads geared or slanted
    toward a negative outcome or disposition that are “designed” to invoke a
    landslide of negativity.

No, I seek out careful thoughts instead of negative emotion.

Overall, I say it takes more strength to be a nonconformist or individual
    than to be a conformist and to question and challenge when necessary.

Otherwise, I would still believe the trumpet sound represented the Cedar Point,
    Ohio District Convention. Or, the brothers who were incarcerated in Atlanta, Georgia
    were the dry bones that became resurrected.

Respectfully,

The Wanderer

• Blueblades
    Blueblades

EINSTEIN HIS LIFE AND UNIVERSE. Einstein was a non - conformist. That's good enough for me.

BluebladesTake care

• White Dove
    White Dove

It takes a lot of strength to be a pagan hippy among so many Christians and witch hunters.

• Mum
    Mum

Thanks, wanderer, for your posts which help us look at things from different angles, though I believe your intent is sometimes misunderstood.

When it comes to nonconformity, I now think of that term as being true to oneself. Most of the problems most of us on this forum have had stemmed from delaying listening to our own inner voice, conforming to the dictates and expectations of those who did not always understand or care about our best interests. BB's Einstein example points to a person who was little understood and often criticized and discouraged by those who were not at his intellectual level (not that it's always about intellect). He simply had a different approach which others could not grasp.

"This above all, to thine own self be true."

Regards,

SandraC

• greendawn
    greendawn

It certainly does since it involves going against the current. Being conformist and going with the current is easy like going downhill. In the JWs non conformism means a swift expulsion or at least a marking as a socially undesirable low grade JW.

• journey-on
    journey-on

I get what you're saying Wanderer. You have to remember, though, non-conformists and eccentrics scare the h*ll out of some people. And some still have the JW borg-like mentality although they won't admit it and are unable to see it. Someone recently counseled me: This place isn't the Kingdom Hall. So, I'll use that wise counsel and say: "If you are a bit odd in your approach, SO WHAT! You're free to present yourself the way you choose till a moderator draws the line. Short Answer: Yes it does.

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

Variety is the spice of life. And you provide some here.

• minimus
    minimus

Where's Richard The Wanderer been lately???

• minimus
    minimus

Where are you Richard??

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

I would take a guess that Richard had enough of the pastings he took for being "non-conformist" on JWD.

Another Vincent goes underground...?

Hope you come back soon (((Richard)))

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit