DOES ANYONE STILL NOT CELEBRATE CHRISTMAS???

by chuckyy 34 Replies latest jw friends

• Dragonlady76
    Dragonlady76

I love all of the holidays and they are an important part of my life, I make it a point to deck out my house for the holidays, I try to make memorable for my son, seeing as I have very few memories of waking up on xmas morning due to my JW childhood. I felt deprived and now I really make up for it, this helps me shed my witless past and makes me feel "normal".

• monophonic
    monophonic

i don't, but i have a lot of jewish friends too, and we're in a mishmash culture, so it's not too emphasized in our circles of friends.

if someone has children and they are excited about christmas, i'll make sure to give them a little something and wish them a merry christmas....it's a consumerism holiday and if i had kids i'd let them do whatever the rest of the kids in school were doing so they wouldn't feel left out and i'd probably teach them about giving to others and how many people volunteer at soup kitchens, etc., and would bring them there to help out, then reward them.

so, no, i don't actively celebrate it, but if i had kids it would be a whole different situation b/c they wouldn't understand the media pounding and i would be careful not to put them in an embarrassing situation w/ their friends....and they'd probably make me take them to mcdonald's even though i haven't eaten fast food in over six years and don't go near those places.

thanks marketing executives.

• greendawn
    greendawn

I love celebrating Christmas due to its religious peaceful spirit and the fond childhood memories that it brings all the lights and ornaments on the Christmas tree, the cakes and meals. Surely December the 25th is not the day Jesus was born but as I see it it makes no difference.

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

Xmas is awesome! All those pretty lights to trip out to, time off work, and a calm peaceful time to just chill out and sip eggnog. I don't watch television so I'm not really affected by all the advertising mania and I don't live anywhere near my family so I don't have to deal with politics. You just need to find a way to personalize it and make it fun.

GBL

• DJK
    DJK

I gladly did Christmas for my kids for many years. They are all grown and now I have grandchildren. My present wife is Jewish and now I celebrate Hanukkah too. I could take it or leave it. DJK

• erandir
    erandir

I still don't because I don't really care for the holiday. Mainly I don't because it's too commercial. One minor reason I think it is silly is that it is supposed to be celebrating Jesus' birthday, but it's not even in the right season for that. I will go to my parents' house for dinner that day because that's just when they all get together, but I won't celebrate with gifts or any of the commercial stuff. I have no objections for anyone who feels differently, though.

• eyeslice
    eyeslice

Not me - family still in.

• looking_glass
    looking_glass

I don't celebrate it or Hanukkah. I am often times invited to Christmas and Hanukkah parties but I usually don't go. I have no connection with these celebrations. Also, I refuse to have people dictate to me when I am suppose to buy my friends presents.

• Es
    Es

Christmas is awesome, esp when you have kids, I love it so much.

es

• Tyrone van leyen
    Tyrone van leyen

I have still not celebrated anything ever and I have been out 20 years now. My birthday is on wednesday. Tommorow actually, and I will be by myself, as always, grinding my teeth, hellbent on revenge.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit