Shammatta—"Disfellowshipping" Jewish Style

by AuldSoul 50 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul
    Matthew 24:48-51 48 — But if ever that evil slave should say in his heart, "My master is delaying," and should start to beat his fellow slaves and should eat and drink with the confirmed drunkards, the master of that slave will come on a day that he does not expect and in an hour that he does not know, and will punish him with the greatest severity and will assign him his part with the hypocrites. There is where [his] weeping and the gnashing of [his] teeth will be.
    Insight On the Scriptures, Volume 1, p. 787, Expelling
    Finally, there was shammatta, an entire cutting off from the congregation. Some believe the last two forms of excommunication were undistinguishable from each other.

One who was cast out as wicked, cut off entirely, would be considered worthy of death, though the Jews might not have the authority to execute such a one. Nevertheless, the form of cutting off they did employ was a very powerful weapon in the Jewish community. Jesus foretold that his followers would be expelled from the synagogues. (Joh 16:2) Fear of being expelled, or “unchurched,” kept some of the Jews, even the rulers, from confessing Jesus. (Joh 9:22, ftn; 12:42) An example of such action by the synagogue was the case of the healed blind man who spoke favorably of Jesus.—Joh 9:34.

Jehovah's Witnesses beat their fellow slaves with the same very powerful weapon used by the Sanhedrin. The purpose of this weapon's use is identical today, it preserves an organization intact that cannot otherwise maintain control over lowly "people of the earth", the amhaarets.

The Greatest Man Who Ever Lived, chapter 88, The Rich Man and Lazarus

Jesus here uses the rich man to represent the Jewish religious leaders, including not only the Pharisees and the scribes but the Sadducees and the chief priests as well. They are rich in spiritual privileges and opportunities, and they conduct themselves as the rich man did. Their clothing of royal purple represents their favored position, and the white linen pictures their self-righteousness.

This proud rich-man class views the poor, common people with utter contempt, calling them amhaarets, or people of the earth.

Elders on the forum: Do interactions with the Service Desk and certain COs or DOs give you the impression that you are viewed as amhaarets? (Psst! I already know the answer, but I just wanted lurkers to see that even congregation elders are considered this way by the organization elite)

Even Bethelites, Missionaries, and Ministerial Training School graduates sometimes view others this way. Some elders and minsterial servants view congregants this way. Many elder's wives view others this way. Some pioneers view non-pioneers this way.

And anyone who disagrees with the ruling rich man, the Governing Body, is beaten with shammatta, because the Governing Body are no longer fellow slaves, they sit well above the lowly slaves. They take the choice places at meals (table heads) and so certain of their own collective righteousness that they willingly figuratively kill their former "fellow slaves" for disagreeing. They use a "very powerful weapon" that discourages everyone who sees it used from ever risking the experience of that weapon.

Yet, they claim to be God's people. They claim to be characterized by love. They are lying. The organization is characterized by fear; fear enforced by a "very powerful weapon" that swings wildly at anyone who dares to be fearless in Christ.

Respectfully,
    AuldSoul

• why???
    why???

I'm not an elder but I completely agree with you!

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat
    Psst! I already know the answer

I get that impression from many of your posts. I wish you and some others here would stop being so critical of the Witnesses. It doesn't do to be down on these people all the time. They are good to people and believe what they are doing is right. I can think of worse. Like soldiers for instance!

Slim

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

SBF, all kidding aside, you never met a JW who was positionally higher on the "food chain" and felt no compunction about making sure everyone knew it? If so, you are the rare JW, indeed.

Either way, they haughtily assert authority the Bible does not give them when they organizationally decide for other people whether someone should be shunned. This practice is completely unlike the practice of the First Century Christian congregations.

I have often posted that I loved my local congregation elders. I have often posted that many of them were like extra fathers to me. The CO who came to speak with me just prior to my disassociation was very loving and caring—he wanted so badly to help me remain a JW. It clearly pained him that the organization had tied his hands to prevent that possibility. But the existence of caring and conscientious elders does NOT negate the existence of those who are very much the opposite. I have known many. One elder told me that I should "dumb down [my] comments at the meetings." Because? "It makes people feel stupid."

Jesus spoke negatively of the Pharisees despite the fact that Nicodemus was not like them. (Matthew 23:1-36) That organizational system has much more in common with the organizational system of Jehovah's Witnesses than the First Century Christian congregation ever did.

SBF, I think you are blinded to the bad because you choose to only see the good. I see both. The good cannot effectively mitigate the damage done by the bad since the bad is at the top of the organization, so the good cannot ever change it.

I have never know a soldier who coerced a mother into shunning her own children. That's pretty vile, SBF, there's no denying it. She is forced to live with the knowledge that her living child must be treated as though dead. That's pretty sick, when you think about it. In many ways, it would be easier if the child was dead. It would be easier on both the child and the mother.

Respectfully,
    AuldSoul

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat
    SBF, all kidding aside, you never met a JW who was positionally higher on the "food chain" and felt no compunction about making sure everyone knew it?

Sure I did, though examples don't come that easy.

People are people where ever you go. Bad, good and ugly.

This practice is completely unlike the practice of the First Century Christian congregations.

From the evidence of Paul alone, the first century was much worse. I highly recommend this book on the subject:

http://www.pendleburys.com/si/85825.html

I don't think DFing is a good idea either, but it beats murder.

Slim

• greendawn
    greendawn

The GB members and the presidents with their inner circle before them always were high above the R&F and at least from Knorr and Franz onwards demanded total obedience and suppression of all criticism on pain of a swift expulsion.

They couldn't have been more different than the early church yet they managed to pass the idea among their naive followers that they are its faithful imitators.

DFing is nothing but a weapon to protect their authority and prevent it from being overthrown something that could very easily happen otherwise given their hopelessly weak positions in doctrine and in history. That's why they need a draconian approach to dissent much like the pharisees.

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

SBF, are you asserting that God ordered the Israelites to murder? Soldiers may kill, but do they all murder?

Just to establish your credential for voicing an opinion on the question I said (Psst!) about, have you been an elder and have you ever had personal interaction with the Service Desk, or intimate "receiving end" discussions with Cos or DOs?

• emptywords
    emptywords

I think you can apply that to a lot of religions, there are people that would veiw others that way, it is self righteousness and very unChrist like. I guess where ever there is organized religion you get this pious bunch.

I do agree that some elders wives, pioneers, elders and going up the self righteous tree of unChrist like b/s that does happen and I have seen it in my own congregation, I tend to give back what I get but in a way that is diplomatic and scriptual, that always works, and moves some to shame.

The hypocrocy of this stenches, as it causes divisions, you have the bethelites and elders all talking in one corner, the pioneers in another, and the wealthier ones in another, it really does stand out to the average joe, and yet if I was to disagree with something the WTS said and spoke about it to someone else I would be causing divisions or worst still apostacy.

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

emptywords,

I think it is this very classism that I was aiming to get across. SBF claims not to have seen it. I never lived in Scotland and never attended the congregations he attended, so I can't call him a liar. Maybe the JWs really aren't clique-ish there.

I was an "average Joe" the entire time I was a JW ... well, never average, but I wasn't in any of the classes. I had a reputation as a clique-buster, someone who ignores the social norms that enable cliques to thrive. I was very aware of those norms and very aware of the many cliques, I just consciously chose to pretend as though such norms and cliques didn't exist.

I just wonder whether slimboyfat was ever an elder who had interaction with the organizational elite on congregational matters. If not, he really won't know what I am talking about anyway.

I agree with you on the divisions issue. They address divergent opinions much more stringently than they address classist exclusion.

Respectfully,
    AuldSoul

• BFD
    BFD

I don't think DFing is a good idea either, but it beats murder.

Slim

Do you hear yourself?

BFD

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit