The Watchtower’s Perspective Seeing Issues—In Terms Of Black & White

by The wanderer 46 Replies latest jw friends

• The wanderer
    The wanderer

The Watchtower’s Perspective Seeing Issues —In Terms Of Black & White

Having been a Jehovah’s Witness taught me that issues were seen as good or bad, black or white.
    If it came from the Society, it was good and if it did not come out of the Society, it was bad.

I call this perspective my tunnel vision.

The Society I believe in part, basis there success on training individuals to think in such a manner.
    How else could you explain why someone would be a Jehovah’s Witness for 10, 20, 30 or more years?

College teaches critical thinking, in other words seeing issues from different perspectives.

Example, a professor asks the students “How do you view Adolph Hitler? ”

“Monster” is the first response.

“An evil man” is the second response.

“What are his good points?” Richard’s response

A momentary silence sets in and then some joker labels Richard a “Nazi”, and then a second one labels
    him “a Nazi sympathizer”, and other similar nonsense, which starts a chain reaction of insults out of
    ignorance.

The professor says good question and the class, now stunned, looks on with faces of astonishment and
    disbelief.

That is because Adolph Hitler did have good points. He was a designer, a good artist and the autobahn,
    which he had a hand in, is the basis for the superhighway system in the United States

However, the evil that he perpetrated far outweighed any good points that he had.

Question: Do you view issues in black and white? If not how do you measure an issue?

Respectfully,

The Wanderer

• Paksen
    Paksen

I think the WTS attracts people who like things to be black or white. I grew up in it and was not allowed to go to collage, so I guess being the kind of person I am, developed critical thinking skills on my own.

Things to me were never just black or white anyway. I used to have people in my family get exasperated with me because I was always asking (why) . I also think people in general don't like thinking for themselves. They like having someone telling them what to do. So they can continue in their mindless lives. Growing up around rigid individuals who can't exist if their was not a definite line of good and evil, made me see that NOTHING is wholly good and wholly evil. It's all a matter of perspective anyway if you want to get down to it.

Just my thought

Paks

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Ahem,, but I believe the post states the obvious to liberated ones like us

But it does highlight a universal problem, that of myopia fed by a media that wishes to create black and white issues . Just try substituting Saddam Hussain for Adolf Hitler in the example, and the result would most likely be predictable over here as well as in your part of the world.

• Who are you?
    Who are you?

That is because Adolph Hitler did have good points. He was a designer , a good artist and the autobahn,
    which he had a hand in, is the basis for the superhighway system in the United States

Everything is open to question and interpretation. Case in point. The autobahn. Was it built to serve the people or was it primarily built because Hitler knew that if he was going to move massive amounts of military equipment throughout the country it would be impossible to do it without the autobahn? Many, myself included, think the autobahn was a byproduct of an overall preplanned war strategy.

I believe the overall goal of critical thinking is to examine the variety of possibilities and to train yourself not to immediately catagorize issues by black and white, good or bad, right and wrong...etc....but thats just my interpretation and is certainly open for debate.

• fedorE
    fedorE

WANDERER. do u find that you still have tunnel vision?

• minimus
    minimus

It seems like "Richard" loves to be different. "Richard" takes pride in challenging the norm.
    Regarding the Watchtower, of course they see everything in black and white-----right or wrong.

How do I measure an issue? I try to look at all the circumstances and history of a person or point of interest. Why do you ask, Richard???

• PrimateDave
    PrimateDave

I think it is a mark of strength when one can see different perspectives on things. One can accept that there are few absolutes, which are most often connected to issues of one's own survival and that of those who are closest to us. It doesn't mean one has to agree with all perspectives, but it is useful to constantly question where one's own position is on things. Did that make any sense? lol

The problem I have with the WTS is that they teach certain absolutes that have no basis in reality. For example, they say Jehovah is absolutely good. Now, the Biblical propagandists were fond of saying that, but Jehovah's actions do not fit my definition of "good." Further, they have set up extra-Biblical moral absolutes, like refusing blood transfusions, from which they have gradually backed off, thus exposing their own hypocrisy.

I think that B&W thinking is about control. It's about predictability in a chaotic world. Whether one wants to control others or likes to be controlled themselves. Just follow the rules, they say. Don't think.

Dave

• WRJ
    WRJ

For starters wanderer, its good to hear from you again. (or is it Richard?)

Anyway you have recieved four pages of mostly criticism for your last post, good! You wanted to stimulate thinking and it certainly accomplished that. Whether it was the right way about it or not the future will tell. But this is a new post and i will respond to your new scenario with that in mind.

Question: Do you view issues in black and white? If not how do you measure an issue?

Answer: You do the best you can! (Ideally speaking) and keep an open mind.

How?

1. You inform yourself about the topic with the BEST information at hand. (As a JW you are vigorously discouraged from informing yourself with anything other than the societies publications, a recipe for ignorance, or your "tunnel vision') If you became informed you would see the society for what is truly is, un-informed.

2. You take into consideration how your decision may impact on the health and wellness of yourself and humans in general. (I'm talking ideally here wanderer, we are not superheroes after all)

3. You take into consideration how your decision with impact upon your home - earth. (Once again you can't truly know the answer to that so you take what you know from what measly knowledge we simple humans have about our planet.)

4. (My personal favourite) - YOU REALIZE THAT WHATEVER KNOWLEDGE, BIAS, PREFERENCE YOU HAVE IS BASED ON YOUR OWN LIMITED MIND AND THEREFORE CANNOT BE CORRECT IN THE TRUEST SENSE. Therefore be happy, no even better rejoice when your viewpoint is proved incorrect. It means humans are improving!

I'm sorry wanderer, you were expecting another response weren't you? So how about this one...........

The actual answer to your question is that we all have tunnel vision my friend, only that Ex-JW's now are free to choose which tunnel they want to view life from. A JW is told which tunnel to follow. Period.

Hope this post helps

• Who are you?
    Who are you?

Question for Richard

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Here are some of the things I was taught to think of as "bad":

**Worldly people in general. Anyone who was not one of Jehovah's Witlesses was wicked and doomed to destruction. And they had to be currently a Witless. Anyone who left that organization was even worse than a standard worldly person. Never mind that the worldly person is often more likely to create value for society than all the Witlesses put together.

**Music. There were so many songs labeled "bad" that were not even that bad. Any song that had a reference to sex, violence, drugs, a dirty word (and even words like "crap", "damn", and "hell" were banned), or had any reference to other religions or to the Devil is "bad". It doesn't matter if the reference was heavily veiled or the devil worship was a rumor, the record had to be played backwards, and it was highly subjective. It was all the way bad--no room for personal tastes, interpretation, or if a person had different strengths (if I am not going to smoke weed, there is no way a song that glorifies it by saying "I'm a Midnight Toker" is going to make me start now).

**Holidays. All bad. Never mind that Christmas is Scriptural (the angels celebrated it in Luke 2:10-14). Nor does it matter that one can do Christmas without going into debt or getting drunk and then driving. Birthdays are also viewed as bad: no interpretations. And, while a person who is nearing 30, 40, 50, or 60 might just as soon "forget" it, there is no way children should be stopped from celebrating. The adults that are approaching a "0" birthday have the option of not celebrating because they don't want to be reminded that they are getting old, and that's their choice. However, those who wish to celebrate should have that freedom.

**Fornication. There is no mere caution that promiscuous sex may be risky and lead to unwanted pregnancies and diseases if one is not careful. It is absolutely banned, even among couples that are about to be married. They need chaperones right up until they are married. No shades of gray here: no looking at it as a trial run, similar to one that is serious about buying a car and wants to test it before committing so they don't get a lemon or a vehicle that is totally unsuitable. All bad, no matter what.

**The Internet. Full of scams, lies, and fraud. The Web sites that have apostate material are the worst. Guess what! I have a fraud monitor on, and there is no fraud detected on any of those sites. And I ordered Christmas decorations, and no fraud was detected from two major Christmas stores online (that is another demon site). Education in general is also bad now, and it will continue to get worse. Nothing of value here: they make no distinction about people that are trying to move up from being poor to being reasonably wealthy.

**Materialism. They look down harshly on that. There is nothing good about being materialistic, except getting a 4 door car for service when a 2 door uses less gas. Forget about that nice, big house and having nice things. Being content with the outdated junk that is about to fall apart that you already have is stressed, never mind that the vast majority of worldly people that purchase nice things like to see them stay that way for a while. And so they are willing to take reasonable care of them, and I don't tnink most people that use computers use them to phish, steal IDs, write spyware and viruses, and spam millions of people at once. Most materialism is intended to make the most of what money you do have.

**Entertainment. They have demonized it. It takes away from the "more important" things. I once calculated the proportions that they suggested, comparing entertainment to spices. It came out to about 7 minutes per week. Hardly enough. They don't realize that people need a break, and the field misery is the most stagnating occupation around. We are supposed to give up computers, education, vacations, trips (except to the a$$emblies), video games, family time, and watching live entertainment in favor of the misery. Service is their only occupation. Everything else, regardless of enriching qualities or balancing out the stagnation, is bad.

There is no way it can be that way. Every activity has its cost and its benefit. There is no absolutely good or absolutely bad activity (with the possible exception of the field misery and the activities of criminals that initiate the use of force, threat of force, or fraud and the regulators that also suppress growth). Everything has a price, and a benefit. To the extent that the benefit exceeds the cost, that activity is good (and will have its bad points, to the extent that it costs you something). If an activity costs more than its benefit, it is bad--though not absolutely so. Rather, it is not worth pursuing, since it costs more than it's worth.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit