Paper asked me to write personal take on 25th Anniversary of Pride

by morrisamb 20 Replies latest social current

• morrisamb
    morrisamb

Thanks BFD - yes, our city is in great contrast to say Toronto...tame is the name of the game here! I love it that way. Happy Pride to you!

• morrisamb
    morrisamb

I received an email through my web site about the article from a Witness I haven't seen in 15 years! It was a bizarre two pager which didn't mention anything Witness. He addressed it Dear Mr. D'Haene, even though he knew me for 10 years by my first name! He also gave the contact info for his shrink. No, really! And then said he hoped that I realized that everyone is entitled to their opinions. Here's what I wrote him back:

Dear _________ (first name),

I don't think I've seen, heard or spoken to you since the early 90s - perhaps 91 or 92.

I'm trying to understand your email.

I have been in a monogomous relationship for 10 years; I am close to my brothers and sister and mother; I have an extended family of hundreds on my partner's side and my brother has 5 children and 11 grandchildren. I have good friends. I work. I own a home.

I have had superb therapy.

I wrote a book about the first 20 years of my life.

I am happy.

As I said, I'm trying to understand your email...are you commenting on something in particular?

I detect pain in your language; an expression of your journey. Feel free to express yourself.

Donald

He wrote back:

Subject: just a response to your articleSubject: just a response to your article

Dear Mr. d'haene

my view of society at large differs greatly from yours. i wanted to convey that in my e-mail and see if you would stand your ground! you did so by affirming that you are well and good having had superb counselling and such. your life is stable and that is good too. i am settled at heart that you have made choices that suite you and i also have made great healing strides and may soon be detailing them in book form. it seems that we child abuse people have a way with words on paper and we should use that ability to help others. much success and happiness in your life . i will respect that stance. i will sign off and leave well enough alone.

I stick by my response. He IS in pain.

• BFD
    BFD

I remember when denial was my best friend. In some ways it still is. Everyone progresses at thier own rate.

He is in pain.

BFD

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

Great article! And happy anniversary!

• morrisamb
    morrisamb

Yes, I agree BFD, and Sass my frass, thanks!

Rec'd this email response late last night to column:

Hi Donald, I just wanted to tell you how much I enjoyed reading your wonderful article in Saturday's (July 28) London Free Press. I have been supporting my brother since he came out in 1990. My Mum and I have marched with him in Pride parades in London and Toronto. I couldn't be prouder of the amazing man he is. Through him, and our volunteering at ACOL a few years back, I've met some of the most wonderful people. I'm sorry you've had so much fear in your life that prevented you from coming out sooner. I can only imagine the strength it takes to come out to society, family, and friends, and hope that afterward you will still have those people in your life. Your article was so well written, and I hope some of the people reading it will become less ignorant because of it. Take care, and Happy Pride! Regards,

• morrisamb
    morrisamb

Received this email review of the article...what a kind lady! Hi Donald, Enjoyed your insights into the history of Pride here in London. You bring a personal touch to the message by sharing personal experiences such as the incident with the librarian and the "special book on homosexuality", the picnic in 1982, the encounter with Dianne Haskett in Port Stanley etc. By describing how you as an individual have been affected by the issues over the years you let the reader see things from a more human perspective rather than an impersonal one. This article not only shows how much progress has been made but also how much more needs to be done.

• Curiousor
    Curiousor

well at least people are reading your words getting your point of view out there

• slmdf
    slmdf

morrisamb -

Great article. I too am gay... have never been to Pride. This thread is very interesting... some posts make me want to go... others make me want to stay away. As usual, I'll take the info and make my own choice. that's the great thing about freedom... we can choose what suits us. We don't have to impose it on anyone else, but we can live our lives proudly.

Thank you to everyone who have made comments on this thread. I find them encouraging.

• morrisamb
    morrisamb

Dear Smldf

Thanks, yes, everyone is different...we must learn to respect our differences - something we never learned as a Witness.

There are so many more gays who don't go to Pride then do. Each person is important. No one person can represent the gay community.

I am happy to make your acquaintance!

• morrisamb
    morrisamb

I received this warm response to the column:

Oh Donald...Well done..I had goose bumps throughout it and am proud to say have been involved in the community, if even in the background for 22 out of the 25 yrs..I was so warmed by the fact that i knew all names mentioned in your article and feel proud and strong for being...and honestly reconfirmed my place i call home...Thanks again for all you have done for your community...I love learning yet again, more about your life and journey...TAKE CARE..and never stop being you...xoxo M..one of your biggest admirers

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit