How many SCUBA divers on JWD?

by JK666 17 Replies latest social physical

• JK666
    JK666

MegaDude,

I came up with a blank on your link.

Please see previous post about Grand Cayman. Man, is that place expensive to visit or what! Who did you dive with? I liked diving with Fisheye, no cattle boats.

JK

• minu
    minu
    Any dive you live through is a good dive

See, now you've gone and done it. And I was actually thinking of telling my husband that I might consider going with him next time. Now...I'm not so sure.

• MegaDude
    MegaDude

http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showgallery.php/ppuser/10244/cat/500

The link has been corrected. Pictures taken on my dive at Dos Ojos.

I have gone diving with a variety of people in G. Cayman, including doing my own diving from the beach.

Yes, it is expensive so I recommend the all inclusive option or doing your own cooking and staying in a condo.

Yes, I drove the North Wall there. Fantastic. But my favorite dive there is Trinity Caves.

For the price, Cozumel is the best diving destination. Unless you can share a condo with fellow scuba divers.

Disliked Grand Bahama intensely. Surely people, reefs stripped of fish life, lazy dive masters. I won't return there but I did enjoy diving with dolphins there.

Here's a good idea for a trip out of Florida:

http://echeng.com/travel/bahamas2006/tigersharks/

• erandir
    erandir

I'm a SCUBA wannabe...just did some snorkeling in the Bahamas twice, once with reef sharks, Grand Cayman, and Playa del Carmen (just south of there in a place called Xel-ha). I would love to dive in the cenotes that I saw in the Yucatan. I know it's not the same as diving, but it's a step in the right direction. I'm envious of you guys, though.

• orangefatcat
    orangefatcat

I would love to be a SCUBA diver, but due to my asthma it is not possible according to my doctor. But I have enjoyed snorkling. It is alot eaiser for me. I can see quite alot on the bottom of a body of water however to go down to deep I can get in trouble.

There was once a JW who was a scuba diver he and his friends went to a stone quarry lake and some how his tank started going awry and the next thing everyone no longer can see him after thier air time was up , the others dove all around the quarry and found him dead in the water. No one really knows what happened, but I do recall someone suggesting it was the regulator on the tank.

That was a very sad day for that witness family.

The place I would love to snorkel at is the Great Barrrier Reef, in Australia, I find it very interesting to that that barrier reef continues all the way to the islands of the Carribean sea.

Has anyone ever snorkeled in either places? I bet it is an experience that one will never forget.

I also like to treasure hunt, and one of these days I am going to buy myself a metal detector. It would be cool to find a treasure. You probably need a good quality detector to detect metals deeper in the sand.

Whatever is is a cool thing to be a scuba diver, Marco and I would go up to Georgian Bay and watch people learn to become proficent divers. They have a school there just up in the town of Tobermory, it is a fabulous place, but heck that water is so damn cold. I would rather swim and snorkel in Lake Huron as I find it a warmer body of water, more so in the month of August.

ta ta for now

Orangefatcat.

• UnConfused
    UnConfused

To everyone here who is *thinking* about diving.

1. It's actually hard to hurt yourself if you follow the rules.

2. There is a peace and tranquility underwater you won't find anywhere else. (Such as seeing in Maine waters craps perched in seaweed like monkeys grabbing at passing food.)

Just do it and enjoy it.

• MeneMene
    MeneMene

I will never have the nerve to scuba dive but I absolutely love to snorkel in calm waters.

I went snorkeling at St Johns and St Croix in the US Virgin Islands; in Hawaii on the Big Island and down the Itchetucknee River at the State Park in Florida.

minu, you might want to try snorkeling first just to get an idea of what's down there. I can't swim very good so always wear a ski belt that gives me just enough support I can just relax and enjoy watching the fish & stuff.

• Satans little helper
    Satans little helper

I did my PADI open water in the UK with nearly zero viz but did my PADI advanced in Cancun Mexico, which was awesome; I did some wreck penetration dives and some deep reef dives with sharks and eagle rays.

I've also dived in Malta and Australia, I'm planning on getting some more diving in this summer and buying a whole load of my own kit once I have paid off my credit card.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit