Help needed with 14 year old teenager who has gang (Krips) ties.....

by skeeter1 29 Replies latest social family

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

This is long, sorry. But, I need HELP.

So...............................background....

My 14 year old niece came to visit us this week. She's being raised by her grandparents (ex-JWs) and birth mother (ex-JW). Her birth father died a few years back of a heart attack. Her birth mother had her as a teenager after running away with the father. The birth father never supported or otherwise showed much care for his daughter. The birth mother gave the child to her parents on the day she was born, and left to live with the birth father for 5 years. Birth mother wised up, left the father, and is now a pretty good person.

The 14 year old's grades are very bad. She can't write a sentence correctly. Bad grammar, run on sentences, no paragraphing skills, bad spelling, etc. During the school year, she failed the CRT test and attended summer school. She passed the CRT in summer school. She has no interest in doing any extra curricular activities, except MySpace & talking with her friends.

The 14 year old's friends, includes boys. Her last boyfriend threatened to "cut his wrist" if she left him. Her current boyfriend (the old boyfriend's cousin) tried to commit suicide a few years back & was put back a year in public school for failing grades.

The 14 year old's grandparents are "tired". They are aware of the 14 year old's lack of homework, bad grammar/illiteracy, etc. They ground the 14 year old for a week or two, but never stick to it (checking her homework, calling school, restricting her friends, etc). I think the grandparents are afraid the 14 year old will run away if they are "too strict."

The 14 year old's mother is trying to be her "best friend." I think the mother is guilty for abandoning her daughter when she was an infant, and is trying to make up for it.

So..................................................the BIG problem is revealed....

The 14 year old & I have been watching CourtTV (mainly those "bad boy" shows). Her wheels have been turning, she asks questions, and I explain the law & the reason behind the law. While we were watching a show last night, she opens up to me.

The 14 year old is about to enter high school. She tells me, "My high school is really bad, and there are gangs. My boyfriend's cousins/friends are members of the "Crip" gang. You have to kill a person to get into the gang. They take drugs, deal drugs, mainly weed, but there are other stuff. I don't do the drugs, but they asked me to put it in my locker. The Crip gang members are fun to be around, they cut up & joke. My boyfriend doesn't do drugs, but he has to hang out with them because they are his cousins. Some of the gang members are already talking about dropping out of school."

I questioned her, remained calm, and found out alot more. We looked up the Crip gang on the Internet. It's a huge gang network. I told her that the gangs recruit middle school kids, train them to deal drugs. Then in high school, the gang members start doing the dirty work until they are arrested & put into prison. In prison, the gang members direct the outside. I told her that the weed will escalate to meth/heroin/crack & dirty weed (weed dipped in heroin) as these young boys get older. I told her that boys are driven by testosterone, and in 1-2 years their testosterone levels will be very high. There will be bad fights, and they will most likely have access to the date rape drug. I also told her that if she "hangs out" with them, she could be caught for "aiding & abetting" the criminals. I showed her a court case (torture & murder) where gang members tortured/murdered an innocent kid. Some of the gang's girls are being charged with aiding type crimes. I explained that if these girls ratted out their boyfriends, the girls will be killed.

(I thought the 14 year old's unwillingness to do homework or extracurricular activities.....it stems from being a gang member. Just like a JW, there is love bombing by the gang members, identification with the gang, loss of personal identity (and therefore personal interest), etc. Thanks JWD. I also showed her about controlling, abusive men.....)

So...................................................my questions.

The grandparents are coming to pick her up tomorrow. I am going to tell them about our conversation. But,

1) Do I tell the grandparents in front of the 14 year old? I'm leaning towards yes.

My father=in-law is going to flip his lid. They have no idea that the granddaughter is associating with gang members. I strongly see the grandparents asking her questions/restrictions/etc, so she'll know I ratted her out eventually. If I tell her in front of them, then she will see a united front that this is bad.

2) Do I take the granddaughter into my house if the grandparents agree? I'm leaning towards no.

If I took her in, it's her chance to make a change.
    But, everyone I know who has ever tried this technique, has backfired. I can put the 14 year old in a new high school, but will she gravitate towards the same type of friends? Plus, we have young children I need to protect. I don't want the gang element in my house. I can't put the 14 year old in private school (she'd have to go into the 4th grade as her writing skills are so poor). I don't have time to home-school.

Help please,
    Skeeter

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

Sorry the above is one big paragraph. Something's wrong with JWD, as the page breaks are not showing after I post.

• Scully
    Scully

Sorry to hear you're going through this.

Here are some book titles that I have had recommended by other parents:

Choices and Consequences - by Dick Schaefer
    Parenting for Prevention - by Davide Wilmes
    Parenting Your Out-of-Control Teenager - by Scott Sells

I absolutely agree that you should NOT take in a troubled teen when you have your own children to be concerned about. Your kids do not need to be exposed to that kind of activity. The only way I might consider this arrangement would be if the teen were committed to bettering herself and taking steps to do so. It would require cutting off contact with negative gang-related influences.

You might be able to get some advice from the local police department or youth services agencies to see if there are community based programs that your niece can get involved with to avoid going down that road. It sounds like she's basically a good kid, but just needs the affirmation that she's getting from this "second family" that consists of gang members and their associates.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Tough, tough, tough. Sorry, I can't think of any easy answers. I think it is very wise to tell all you know to your parents, with your niece right there. How about finding some resources for the grandparents and the mom? Could you help them get Children's Services involved?

In the end, I don't think things will go well with your niece unless she decides she deserves better.

• Mum
    Mum

Do the grandparents have enough money to send her to a residential school? They are very expensive, but have 24-hour discipline and therapy to turn kids around.

Would the grandparents be willing to move to a different town or, at least, a different school district to get their granddaughter away from the gang members, and hire private tutors to help her academically?

My recommendation is that you talk with the adults privately, without the child present. Then you might have her tell the grandparents the same thing she told you.

If the grandparents don't mean what they say, they are creating confusion and more problems for the child. It is better to ground her for one day and stick to it than for two weeks and then not follow through.

Regards,

SandraC

• unique1
    unique1

I may not be much help but here were some ideas I had. Keep her so busy she doesn't have time for a gang.

I know here they offer after school tutoring for students. I would sign her up for these classes and make the teacher call me immediately if she doesn't show. This will keep her away from the gangs for a few more hours per day and will help with her learning. You may also want to see if you have a sylvan learning center nearby. http://tutoring.sylvanlearning.com/

I would also encourage some other type of afterschool activity like cheerleading, softball, basketball, soccer, swimming at the Y, or anything else that can consume her time and get her intersted in something other than myspace and hanging with her friends. Kids that are involved in community programs are less likely to join a gang or get pregnant underage.

Best of Luck to you.

• BCberean
    BCberean

I'm sorry ...all I can offer is ((((((HUGs)))))))

• megsmomma
    megsmomma

Man....this is super tough. I agree with Unique1....she has too much free time and not enough productive things to keep her busy. I think where-ever she is she needs things to do that will make her feel like she can make a difference. Maybe volenteering someplace. (A animal shelter-something with animals seems theraputic or something with disabled kids) Ask her what she would be interested in doing to feel good about herself and the good thing about being 14 is that she can blame her family for not having time to get involved with what the gang is doing. She needs the grown-ups to take charge and make her mad......secretly she wants it.

• Quandry
    Quandry

Here's a thought. Talk with mom. Don't reveal the girl's conversation with you. Just ask mom if she is aware of some of the pressures of school today that your niece may be facing. You could say she mentioned that there are gangs in the school, without mentioning more confidential info.

Yes, after school programs. Mom needs to sit with and read to the girl. Fun books. Easy books.Then read the books together. Yes, at the same time. It is called paired reading. Then the niece can read the same book back to mom.

The court shows are great that you watched. It made her see what happens in real life. This girl obviously has no role models of success to look at. There are many great magazines for young girls that highlight achievements of young people. Mom needs to visit a library and check out some things. Speaking of libraries, sometimes they have teen nights and programs.

Someone needs to take some real time and effort with this child, because so far, the gangs have stepped up to the plate instead of family.

except MySpace & talking with her friends.

Here's one thing. No MySpace time until homework is done. And a log from the teacher stating what the homework is, so there is no doubt.

I work in a school, and there is nothing more frustrating than seeing potential in a child but knowing that indulgent parents are not there to guide and yes-parent.

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

I decided to call the county sherriff and the high school.

The sherriff said that there was "minimal" gang activity in his county (elected official). My niece says otherwise. The high school teachers use e-mail to communicate with the parents on any concern, including homework.

I sat down with her this morning. I told her that I loved her and that I had to go to her grandparents about this problem. Her grandparents need to know what pressures she faces at school. But, of course now her story has changed. She doesn't "hang" with those kids anymore despite her earlier statement that they were, "fun, cool, made her laugh, etc." If this was a court of law & she was my opposing witness, I'd fry her ass for inconsistent statements...... Instead, I just reminded her of her earlier statement that they were "fun, cool, made her laugh, etc." She had the "doe in the headlights" look.

The grandparents should arrive at 4:00 this afternoon...stay tuned.

Skeeter

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit