you can't count to infinity...

by return visitor 24 Replies latest jw friends

• Twitch
    Twitch

Cool.

I've never heard of integral calculus applied to a definition of god. It fits for the sake of this argument though. Newton and/or Leibniz may be rolling in their graves as we speak,....lol

How can the finite comprehend the infinite? (or ultimate/perfect etc), I dunno; there still isn't a proof,......

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

And this is why you cannot rule out evolution just because the odds are ridiculously long against it. This is what the Creation book does--that book uses non-sequitors to prove that evolution cannot happen. However, when you have an infinite number of chances to get it right, it is going to happen. And all it takes is for one civilization to reach the point of controling the whole cosmos, and they can guide the process along. With an infinite number of chances, it is certain to happen.

• Mariusuk.
    Mariusuk.

Your logic is rather flawed I'm afraid, you are working on the basis of God existing in this universe with its laws of physics and time. If God exists then he must exist "outside" of the universe for God to created it (and with it time) Before the universe there was no time and therefore no infinity of time

ps I know there can be no "outside" of the universe as the universe is everything and I'm an athiest

• tijkmo
    tijkmo

so at what point in his infinity did god begin creating.

near the beginning or someway into it

just a thought

• John Doe
    John Doe

so at what point in his infinity did god begin creating.

near the beginning or someway into it

just a thought

You're trying to tie things choronilogically to a beginning. By defintion of infinity, you can't do that. You have to pick some arbitrary point of reference in order to come up with a chronolgocial order.

• MadTiger
    MadTiger

The notions of time and infinity are man-made constructs.

• bennyk
    bennyk

Didn't J. S. Bell say something along the lines of: "Time is just God's way of keeping everything from happening at once..." (?)

• return visitor
    return visitor
    The notions of time and infinity are man-made constructs.

I disagree with this, If man did not exist, things would still move from the past toward the future. The fact is that there is a dirrection of time (times arrow) from past to future. And this is directly linked to entropy.

• Twitch
    Twitch
    Didn't J. S. Bell say something along the lines of: "Time is just God's way of keeping everything from happening at once..." (?)

Interesting I might add "in the interest of man" since god is omniscient by definition and everything that was and is to be is already within his knowledge ie. everything has "already happened and will continue to happen" as far as he/she/it is concerned. We are only aware of time within our relative scope, such as minutes, days, years. There are existences infintessimally small and large that we perhaps comprehend in theory, both ends of the scale approaching infinity. But as in the analogy to calculus mentioned earlier, we can approach it but never achieve it in reality.

• MadTiger
    MadTiger

Read this guy's thoughts:

http://www.sissel.cc/blog/2005/12/theory-of-actual-time-vs-man-made.html

Not that I 100% agree with him, but it is just an easy way to further illustrate what we are talking about in this thread.

Here is some Infinity 101:
    http://www.trottermath.net/personal/infinity.html

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit