Do you think the society will abandon 1914?

by B_Deserter 37 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• sspo
    sspo

No reason to change 1914 doctrine. The generation change in 1995 did the work for them for decades or centuries to come.

According to them everything happened in the invisible realm in 1914-1919. Who will question them on that?

They would not dare changing it and lose many more members.

• Arthur
    Arthur

They really can't. 1914 is the year that Jesus came in his invisible presence, was enthroned as King, and then began examining the churches to find his "Faithful Slave Class". 1914 is the very foundation for all of this. The Society has also used various numbers from the book of Daniel to count from 1914 to 1919 when they were chosen as the Faithful Slave. The Society would also have to radically change their Gentile Times doctrine; and separate it from the Seven Times of Daniel. Trying to abandon 1914 would create more problems that it would solve.

I think that it is so much easier for them to cling to 1914. It's easier to discredit the secular history than it is to deal with the headaches of having to reconstruct several other doctrines attached to this date. JWs have been effectively convinced that 1914 is the beginning of the end of the system of things due to WWI anyway. It's much easier for the WTS to simply discredit the secular sources and to continue to retain the claim that it is only the "apostates" who want to nit-pick over it. This method has worked quite well for many years. Why change it?

• Marcel
    Marcel

i think they'll dump it. its true that they dont HAVE to. but i believe the GB includes honest men who seek truth. they're not all liars and deceivers. so they see false doctrines and probably want to fix them. it might take some time. they might see that 1914 is wrong and dump it. and of course a date set 100 years ago dont have the urgency like one set last year. there might be coming something.

the blood issue will be dumped 100% in the next years though! :|

• Sarah Smiles
    Sarah Smiles

No, because they have to add Noah's one hundred and twenty years of preaching to 1914. I really do not see them getting rid of the date! I heard rumors that they stopped using the date as much! during the meetings.

• emptywords
    emptywords

this date is suppose to be when Christ began to reign and cleaned out the heavens inspected the bible group and Russel and said you good people you, I give you permission to be the FDS and provide food at the proper time.

So they would have to admit that they were not FDS, and Christs presence since 1914. Cant see that ever, ever happening.

• Ténébreux
    Ténébreux

They don't have to drop the date, all they have to do is attach a different significance to it. 1914 could become the year when Christ "symbolically" arrived, the year when his true followers were granted awareness of his coming presence. Backed up by some statements in the vaguest possible terms about how the FDS have always taught 1914 to be a "significant" and "pivotal" date, and how "some" were expecting his actual presence, ha ha weren't they silly, we know better today don't we.

• steve2
    steve2
    They don't have to drop the date, all they have to do is attach a different significance to it.

This is it in a nutshell. This, in fact, is what most religious groups have done when their predictions don't come true: Reinterpret. seldom do religious groups ever toss out their core prophesy-based teachings.

• nvrgnbk
  • JK666
    JK666

2034 will be the "magic date." They will have to scramble for something before then to explain why the big "A" hasn't arrived. A replacement for the "Generations" BS.

It was interesting how a JW critic predicted that they would have to change the 1914 generation teaching in the early 90's, and then WHAM, they did it!

JK

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk
    2034 will be the "magic date."

Agreed.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit