Most Ex-JWs R Not Active in the Anti-JW Community. Maybe 1%? Any thoughts?

by Seeker4 70 Replies latest jw experiences

• pratt1
    pratt1

I believe as some have said that there are many who have left because of sexual issues and not because of religious docturine.

But if these same people really believed the religious docturine, then I say, most adults would not commit the sexual transgression since after all the act of sex requires consent and in most cases some sort of preparation,either mentally of physically.

In my opinion, the sexual act is usually the confirmation that you really don't belive the docturine on some level, and the sexual act is just the symptom of your disbelief.

Let's face it most people would abstain form sex or any other pleasure if they knew they would with out a doubt die from practicing it.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

People gotta do what people gotta do.

It's like being "called" to the ministry. We're "called" to the XJW work.

It's an all volunteer army, and I for one would not welcome "drafteees."

Do as thou wilt is the law.

Rust never sleeps.

Let he who has ears read and understand.

• Honesty
    Honesty
    Are you thinking of being more active in the ex-JW arena?

Do I have to sign anything?

Do I have to make any promises?

Do I have to sacrifice my children to any organization's policies?

Do I have to shun anyone who doesn't join?

Ok, I'm in.

Now what do I have to do?

• fedorE
    fedorE

I can def relate. I had 0% to do with exJWs in anyway once i was out ..1st though I attend the Atlanta exJW affair to meet some former Bethelites and RF but i soon put it all behind me and had other things on my mind other than religious matters. I left around the same time Frank Toth(terrific dude) did and even though we shared a common past our paths went separate ways due to my religious disintrest and my WORLDLY intrests..namely girls, fun and frolic. I was so upset at how my life had turned out i felt i had missed out on so much sex (the truth is the truth) and fun,and the last thing i wanted was to be active in anti jw anything...Also i remember seeing a guy dressed up in a monkey suit outside of the assemblies along with born again JWs that turned me off so much .ahhhhhh. Life was too short to worry about what JWs were up to..but now i seem to have fewer ppl in my life and so much family still in it that im older so this seems to be a perfect place to visit and see what/how others are dealing

• choosing life
    choosing life

Seeker 4,

You seem like a leader, someone who tends to get involved with what concerns you. You are obviously intelligent and very articulate too. Having all these qualities, I can see why it would be hard for you to not get involved.

On the other hand, I think a large amount of the ones who leave were fringe witnesses. They liked the promise of paradise, but never did much to get involved. A lot more had the religion forced on them as children. These people, unfortunately, often still believe in at least some of what the jws teach, so don't care to actively oppose them. I have always thought a walk away believer is in the saddest position of all.

Many on here are trying to keep their family relationships intact to a point, so don't go any further than here. Maybe I am wrong, but I see a slow fading in the congregations around me and a weariness of many of those still in. This is what drives most of the recent decisions from the society.

I appreciate what those who came before me have done to pave the way. Sometimes I think leaving them guessing is also an effective way to make them think about things. If they are not able to pigeon hole you into a neat little classification, it rather disturbs them. I see a lot of witnesses around town and exchange greetings with them. I can always see the burning question in their eyes about why I left, but they don't ask and I don't tell. If someone came to me and truly wanted to know about what I've learned, I would be glad to talk with them.

• greendawn
    greendawn

It could also be that many are not computer/internet literate, simply don't like typing or don't have internet access. For other sit may be a subconscious guilt about fighting "god's" organisation.

• steve2
    steve2
    Let's face it most people would abstain form sex or any other pleasure if they knew they would with out a doubt die from practicing it.

Good point: I'm simply building on a point you raised; namely, deep down many ex-JWs still believe it's the truth. People often disobey laws even whilst 'believing' those laws. For example, running a red light, exceeding speed limit by 5 kmph, putting an extra 15 minutes on reported witnessing time. Often, It's a question of the degree of disobedience. There are other complicating factors such as some people deluding themselves that, if it is the truth, at least they're not as bad as apostates, etc etc. And we all know of some (ex)JWs who fool themselves by believing that when it becomes 'obvious' that the end is about the happen, they'll return to the organization, but in the meantime, dare not let it be known they have broken certain rules, moral or otherwise.

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

fedorE - Welcome. Glad to have your voice join the discussion.

"I have always thought a walk away believer is in the saddest position of all." Yes. There are far too many ex-JWs who still consider it "the truth" and who live a life of guilt and fear that they'll die soon at Armageddon. Maybe one thing we could try to do more is just share with them in a non-aggressive way, when the opportunity presents itself, why we know that the WTS is not what it claims and there is no need to fear it or WT teachings.

I try to do that as often as possible, and it's usually productive in helping people reassess the WTS.

S4

• emptywords
    emptywords

Those inactive that don't know about the UN and child abuse cases, dates 1914 and other stuff, don't need to. The biggest stumbling block in the congregations and NO 1 reason folk become inactive, is lack of love, and other stumbling blocks are elitism, neglect, feelings of unworthiness and some just tire out, they can't live up to all the rules. Then they are called apostates if they say anything.

The congregations have become like childrens homes, and spy camps. People eventually start dying inside where their is no love and warmth, those that are regemental organizational robots love it, so the meek and sensitive get trampled on.

• timetochange
    timetochange

"Anti-JW Community" I think that says it all. Every exJW I know has no interest in anti-JW activity. They have moved on. Some are no longer religious others have joined other religions, all are content in their "new" lives. I think it's true that those who truly believed in their heart and to the core and who gave the most have a harder time just silently walking away.

Walking away though, imo, is at some point the best thing to do. We all have just so many days, weeks and years to devote to fighting a never ending dogmatic/fundamentalist religion. Remember, the Roman Catholic Church still lives and is making more money today than she did 10 or 20 years ago! Most JWs like their religion and they will stay no matter what.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit