Do you look forwards, backwards or sideways?

by mtsgrad 24 Replies latest jw friends

• mtsgrad
    mtsgrad

Morning faders, da's df's and current witnesses,

The whole of my life in the troof was spent looking forward to the end of this wicked system. Over 30 years of waiting for Jehovah to sort out the ills of mankind.

Now I have left I look back at all the wasted years, looking at the things I could have done. I know it is not productive, but I cannot help myself. Am I on my own? How do you look at life; forwards, backwards or sideways?

mtsgrad

• Anti-Christ
    Anti-Christ

I am starting to stop looking back slowly and trying to look at what I can do now but I have to fix the past first before I can make a better future

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Onwards and upwards.

• exwitless
    exwitless

Excellent question. Little Drummer Boy and I DA'd ourselves in Sept. 2006. It was the most liberating thing for us. I now can look to the future and make decisions for myself, free of guilt and free of the "wait for Jehovah" mindset. JWs discourage higher education. Well, my husband just finished his Computer Information Systems degree and landed a great job. He may not have done it if he was still in the borg. I am an LPN and pursuing my RN degree. We have 14 wasted years in the borg to make up for, but at least we get to decide things for ourselves now. Yes, I regret the 14 wasted years, but there's no point in dwelling on that, because I can't change it. I can change where our future is headed. Waiting for the "New System" was torture. We gave up so much for it. But now we've reclaimed control of our lives. Thinking positively about the future is what keeps us going now. We've lived dirt poor for the last 15 years thanks to the borg, but finally we see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Now is the time to make things happen. YOU have choices. You don't need to "wait on Jehovah" or the "new system" to be happy. YOU can make good choices for yourselves now. Good luck to you.

• changeling
    changeling

Forwards, always.

changeling

• emptywords
    emptywords

Each persons circumstances are usually different. I think it depends on how old the person is, how long they were in the org; if they have a mate that has the same views or family they can go to for support, understanding friends, which would be very difficult, seeing we never were allowed to associate with wordly people. Just one understanding person can make a world of difference, not just here, but in a tangible way. Don't isolate yourself.

All the best.

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

I find it's much easier to walk with one step in front of the other facing the way I want to go, try walking forward and looking backward it will trip you up everytime. Life is the same way.

We can't change the past we can learn from it and create our future wisely.

Happy trails!

• return visitor
    return visitor

I don't look. I go through life blind, supprised by everything and by nothing.

• John Doe
    John Doe

I always look forward, but I've got a giant rear view mirror in the way a lot of times.

• R.F.
    R.F.

This is my motto:

"Learn from the past, plan for the future, but not at the expense of the moment. Cherish the present, get the most out of the present, savor the present."

I try not to dwell on the past and what i've missed out on, even though i've realized what i've missed out on at a very early age than many of you have.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit