Remember we dress modestly when we get together!!!!

by tremoka 32 Replies latest jw experiences

• tremoka
    tremoka

I've been inactive for a few years. Missed the past 2 memorials. I've kinda faded out, haven't had much contact with anyone!

So an invitation for a congregation party shows up in my mailbox. 2 sisters were to contact me about food and decorations. Never heard from anyone.

Tonight an elder called and left a message. He directed it to me not my husband or my family.

"I'm calling to confirm you recieved the invitation to our congregation party this Sunday. I'm making sure that EVERYONE in our congregation is invited. (hahaha even the nobodies like me LMAO) Remember we dress modestly at our gatherings so please ensure you are dressed in modesty. Hope to see you there."

How's that for a LOVING, ENCOURAGING, SUPPORTIVE call from someone I've not spoken with for YEARS. I wanted to call him right back and ask why he felt the need to remind me of modesty. My goodness check out all the immodest dress in his own KH or at DCs. Perhaps he called everyone to remind them of modesty! hahaha

Now I feel like going with my boobs and booty hanging out!!!!!

If it wasn't for my husbands family still in the religion I would have disassociated myself along time ago. I'm tired of dealing with crap like this. It's funny I'll be fine, I'm in the mending and healing process and then situations like this pop up and I'm very irritated again. I think I really need to cut off all ties and take the consequences with my husbands family. I can't do it anymore. I want to move on without having to look over my shoulder!

• Gopher
    Gopher

Is the morale or spirit of the congregation declining, losing members - that they would reach out to former members, maybe to get their numbers back up or something? What about the spiritual danger of mingling with those who aren't as active? What if you do come with slightly revealing clothing?

And that reminder about how to dress - makes me remember how they treated us like children in that organization. One circuit assembly demonstration had the shocking revelation that to keep physically clean involves two main things- soap and water !!! Who knew?

More of us on the board here are discussing about whether to cut off family ties or not, especially if you're DF'd (which I know isn't true for you). The idea is that the more we hold the door open for their attempts to control us, the more hurtful it gets. So some have completely cut off contact and made the clean break. It works for some people who don't like that in-between hanging-by-a-thread relationship status which doesn't do anybody much good.

• bigdreaux
    bigdreaux

tremoka, i think we need to see a picture of this outfit your wanting to wear with the flesh hanging out. we will decide if it's appropriate.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk
    tremoka, i think we need to see a picture of this outfit your wanting to wear with the flesh hanging out. we will decide if it's appropriate.

Good instincts bigd!

• FadingAway
    FadingAway

It's always been my feeling that appearances always supercedes love and fellowship in this orginazation. It seems that is all they harp on is dress and grooming and that adults don't have the common sense on how to do that. Gopher's right, they really do treat the members like children

• flipper
    flipper

Control,control,control, and when your sick enough of that, guess what?,more control!! Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• Gopher
    Gopher
    appearances always supercedes love and fellowship in this orginazation.

B-I-N-G-O.

You get more points for appearing to be loving or righteous, than by actually being so. It's how you "project" your image as a JW that matters most.

To prove this, you're more likely to be DF'd (or publicly reproved) if your "sin" is public knowledge. But if it didn't gain notoriety among the gossiping members of the congregation, then you'll more likely get by with just a public reproof.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

WOW, what a way to tell the CO that they have called on the inactive members.
    If you don't go to the "get-together," the elder will say that the BOE has reached
    out to you and you haven't responded. Throwing in the "modestly dressed"
    reminder almost clinches your ignoring the invitation, and reveals the control
    you escaped from.

Do you suppose they remind the men to dress modestly?

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

Reading of this invitation, I was thinking of some of the doozies that used to be printed in the old advice columns-like Dear Abby. You know, horribly rude invitations and how one could respond to them. Wonder what they would have said to THAT one??

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

Reading of this invitation, I was thinking of some of the doozies that used to be printed in the old advice columns-like Dear Abby. You know, horribly rude invitations and how one could respond to them. Wonder what they would have said to THAT one??

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit