Distorted Morality-America's War on Terror

by frankiespeakin 26 Replies latest jw friends

• frankiespeakin
  • Who are you?
    Who are you?

Frankie its nice to see you bring out a legitimate source for the left.

• Gopher
    Gopher

I didn't have time to watch the Chomsky presentation.

But...

Whenever America declares a war on a concept, it seems destined for failure.

President Johnson declared a war on poverty in the 1960's. It doesn't seem like poverty is eradicated.

President Reagan started a war on drugs in the 1980's. Who can forget Nancy Reagan's "just say no" plea to young Americans. The drug scourge is worse than ever, and this war diverted resources from other serious issues since then.

Now Bush has declared a war on terror. Given our track record combined with the general incompetence at highest levels in the current administration, how can Bush's war even have a remote chance of success?

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Gof,

Now Bush has declared a war on terror. Given our track record combined with the general incompetence at highest levels in the current administration, how can Bush's war even have a remote chance of success?

Truly correct. The war on terror, is so hypocritical it defies a basic fact that the US has been a sponsor of terrorism far worse than those they clasify as terrorist. Intellgent people, without the patriotic biased indoctrination see this so clearly.

• Gopher
    Gopher

It's been often said: One man's terrorism is another man's "freedom fighting".

• PrimateDave
    PrimateDave

Gopher, the "war on terror" started long before the Bush II administration. The video, what I saw of it, states that the Reagan administration also had a "war on terror."

Frankie, I can't watch the whole thing. It downloads too slowly for me. Plus, old Noam seems to get more rambly with age. From what I can tell, though, he isn't going anywhere he hasn't before. For anyone interested, I would highly recommend reading his books What Uncle Sam Really Wants and The New War Against Terror which can be downloaded via p2p network.

I'm not sure I understand why the US Govt's support of the killing of innocent brown people in foreign lands is a "left" or "right" issue, but the general ignorance of the white American public about what goes on around the world is sad.

Dave

• Warlock
    Warlock
    It's been often said: One man's terrorism is another man's "freedom fighting".

Gopher, I'm not picking on you, I'm just taking issue with the quote.

The way I heard it, which is similar, is this: "One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter".

If that's the case, then, what was Timothy McVeigh?

Warlock

• Who are you?
    Who are you?
    The war on terror, is so hypocritical it defies a basic fact that the US has been a sponsor of terrorism far worse than those they clasify as terrorist. Intellgent people, without the patriotic biased indoctrination see this so clearly.

What I heard was that Noam says that the US policy based on its history could be viewed as hypocritical. He also says that terrorism is terrorism and making the case that one form is worse than the other is pointless. I don't recall him making any claim even remotely resembling your last sentence Frankie.

• heathen
    heathen

All I can say to that is , no kidding....

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

WAY,

What I heard was that Noam says that the US policy based on its history could be viewed as hypocritical. He also says that terrorism is terrorism and making the case that one form is worse than the other is pointless. I don't recall him making any claim even remotely resembling your last sentence Frankie.

I base my comment(opinion) not on what Chomsky said but on the magnetude of terrorist acts of agression in comparison of what the USA has done, and what those labeled terrorist by US government has have done, it is my point of view which I'm sure many deprogrammed of governmental indoctrination and who are informed will agree.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit