Cat is in trouble- advice?

by Insomniac 35 Replies latest jw friends

• Insomniac
    Insomniac

My mom's cat got into some of her embroidery floss and swallowed it.. This was maybe three days ago. Her vet won't see him, too busy. He's not eating much at all now, and I fear the worst. Has anyone here had this happen? What do we do for him?

• minu
    minu

Oh my gosh! How awful! If that vet is too busy, call another one. maybe feed him a can tuna in oil, the oil may make him pass. my cat used to swallow rubberbands and I would feed her the food that made her poo and it helped her. ( Now, I ban any rubberbands at my house. ) silly cats!

how much string did he swallow? I say call another vet.

I just found this............>>>>Common household items such as embroidery floss, spools of sewing thread, rubber bands and even dental floss can be life threatening for a cat. Sometimes the thread or string can pass through the cat's digestive tract without serious injury if it's small enough. Unfortunately that is not always the case, especially if the cat swallows a large amount of string, twine or thread. Just imagine how much sewing thread a cat can swallow from even a miniature size spool of thread. The string or thread can get wrapped around the tongue and if swallowed can wrap around inside the intestines and cause the cat to become very ill and will lead to eventual death. The thread can even cut into the intestines. Surgery can sometimes be the only chance of survival and that isn't always successful. If you suspect your cat has gotten into some type of thread or string, be alert for the first sign of problems. If your cat begins vomiting abnormally, (more than the usual hairball) diarrhea, or constipation, lethargy or any erratic or unusual behavior, take her to the veterinarian quickly and assume she swallowed the string. The longer you put it off, the less chance the cat has for survival. <<<<<<

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I suggest finding a different vet.

W

• Insomniac
    Insomniac

Thanks, Minu. I gave him a glob of petroleum jelly (he really hates me now.) and we're watching closely. I'm trying to get my mom to pick up all her thread, yarn, floss, needles, etc., and stash them somewhere kitty can't get at them, but she's not doing it. I don't think she gets how serious this is. What he got into, she just told me, was some embroidery floss that had some sparkly thread in it. Not on a skein, it was unwound and ready to be sewn with. She doesn't know if it was on the needle yet.

Thanks, Finally Free. I'm making phone calls now.

• calamityjane
    calamityjane

You need to get him into a vet.

Our cat died that way. Minu was right what the cat will do is eat it but throws it up and it eventually gets wrapped around the back of the tongue. We got our cat to the vet too late, died of cardiac arrest.

• Insomniac
    Insomniac

Vet says $800-$1,000. She does not have this much, not even close.

• calamityjane
    calamityjane

Ouch!. Could you try and see if it is wrapped around the back of the tongue. That's why our cat couldn't eat because the string was wrapped around her tongue.

• Insomniac
    Insomniac

Calamityjane- Yeah I made her go look. She says she can't see anything on his tongue. I'm afraid it's in his intestines now.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

I had a dog that ate an Xmas ornament one time. It was beads on a wire shaped like a candy cane. I did not know he ate it till it was making an exit...........

Maybe that will happen to the cat.

They eat so many different things, cats, mice, birds, seems like they should be able to handle some thread.

purps

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

I hope she'll take him to a different vet ASAP!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit