What did YOU do to stay awake???

by TheCoolerKing 19 Replies latest jw experiences

• TheCoolerKing
    TheCoolerKing

Back when I was still a JW, I used to work night shift alot for my job. This included Saturday nights as well. Our Kingdom Hall had our Sunday public talks in the morning and I always found it difficult to stay awake, especially after being up all night! I was also responsible for adjusting the mics, so it didn't help either that I had to sit on the front row. I'm sure the "friends" seated behind me could notice me drifting off and watch me catching my sleepy head, as it bounced forward and from side to side. Anyway, to keep from falling asleep, I started popping those caffeine pills (NO DOZ) before every Sunday meeting! It was the only thing I could think of to keep me awake and keep from snoring during the meetings.

So how did YOU manage to stay awake for the meetings? Anyone else "pop" pills to stay awake like me?

TCK

• Dragonlady76
    Dragonlady76

<----- I should taken sleeping pills before the meetings.

• Insomniac
    Insomniac

For a while there, I was on medication that made me really drowsy and zombie-like (hmmmm, that sounds like an ideal dub!) Anyway, I used to pinch the inside of my arm to stay awake, until it was all bruised and I looked like a drug addict. I also used to drink a TON of coffee before hitting the hall.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I think this is a common problem. Many of the Witlesses have to work Saturday nights or evenings, and often don't get in until after 2 in the morning. And then they have to go to the meetings. Of course, they are supposed to stay alert through the whole thing. This also creates problems for those who work evenings and have Tuesday and Thursday boasting sessions. They either have to miss work, miss sleep, or both for those stupid wastefests.

This is something that the Governing Body doesn't think of. And Ted Jaracz, a domineering bully, will not acknowledge anything but people going to work from Monday through Friday, 9 to 5, and having plenty of time to do nothing but meetings. Other things like shopping, housekeeping, eating, recreation (oops, a dirty word), and school can be expended since this monster believes that none of those things really matter. All that matters is that you have the ability to go to those wastefests.

What happens when people work other hours? Obviously, they have to suffer. This is a more common problem among the Witlesses, since most are janitors and work after buildings are closed down (that is, at night). So they are working while everyone else is sleeping. No problem, says Mr Jaracz (and the other members of the Governing Body who have no choice to deviate). We'll disregard the fact that they are tired. They physically have the ability to be at the boasting session, and so let's make them go anyway. And they have to stay awake through it. Never mind that most have to work Sunday nights as well--that doesn't count and we should make them go out in the misery after.

This is a problem that is created by poor integration. You take away all the good jobs by disallowing education and most good jobs as "unscriptural". This leaves mostly night work. Then you assume that everyone is working during the day (which is common in the world). You set the schedule so that those who work at night are going to have trouble, since you assume everyone works during the day and has nothing better to do than go to a boasting session every other night. This is a recipe for people being tired all the time. And that's why so many of them need coffee and caffeine.

I wonder what happens if the Governing Body decides to take the cue from the Mormons and ban caffeine (they have already banned the stuff). You are going to see many people struggling. As the usual poor integration is going to lead to not thinking about people being so tired, they are going to start making people pioneer (they didn't succeed in April 2007, so they are going to be harsher in 2008). Before you know it, you are going to have people in some form of service virtually 168 hours a week, every week. And they are going to not be "doing enough".

How I stayed awake? I didn't even bother trying. If I nod off to sleep in the side of the Kingdumb Hell, so be it. That would usually happen sometime during the Puketower study. I never bothered popping caffeine pills or coffee--better I should drift off to sleep during the Public Nap or the Puketower Study. And, if I was passing mics, I would be that much more likely to drift off during the Public Nap. Of course, if I had to work that night, I had a habit of eating almonds after the boasting session since I knew that I would be in for a headache and almonds contain a natural form of aspirin (which is safer for regular use than the aspirin you find in the bottle). Of course, it is better to skip the boasting sessions.

• TheCoolerKing
    TheCoolerKing

I also used to drink a TON of coffee before hitting the hall.

I only had about 20 mins between getting in from work and getting to the meeting. So I never had time to pick up coffee or make it. That's why I popped the pills! Not to mention it made for fewer bathroom breaks too!

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Multiple trips to the ladies room or pinched myself - I'm amazed I didn't draw blood

• TheCoolerKing
    TheCoolerKing

Excellent points there Wizard!!!

Actually I seem to recall that the WTS did put out a Watchtower article, warning about the dangers of caffeine. But I guess they realized that if they banned "the drug", then meeting attendance would drop considerably!

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Fantasize about being an ex-Witness.

• exwitless
    exwitless

Fantasize about being an ex-Witness.

nvrgnbk - you didn't mean "exwitless", did you?

• erandir
    erandir

I drank lots of coffee or other caffeinated beverages and then had to get up during the meeting to make a few deposits. Kept me alert and on my feet. Two things to avert drowsiness.

Nothing keeps you awake like a full bladder.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit