Do the hours of the JW's reflect their actual preaching?

by justhuman 28 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• justhuman
    justhuman

When I was Watchtower witness and pioneer I recall how we used to abuse the hours at the field service...

Getting up in the morning, and doing street work..after the street work going to the kindom hall for the field service, and the at the territory. After finishing the territory continue some street work in order continue reporting the time.

So starting at 8.15 in the morning, then stop at 9.15 to drive to the kindom hall, and around 9.50 we were getting at the territory. Then after the 2 hours preaching(and usually 85%of the people were not home and the rest show no interest at all, and after 2 coffee brakes, finishing at 12.00. Then going some street work at the center of the town until 1.00

So we used to report 5 hours!!! And maybe in this 5 hours we were lucky if we could speak to 20-25 people!!!

Then we had the 'bible study'. Going there half an hour before having the bs for 45 minutes, and then have a drink and chat for another 45 minutes!!!

I recall a brother who was pionneer and elder, he used to take for a ride with his car a recall visit, going for a drive for an hour in town near by, that was a tourist destination, having a drink at a the pub, and then driving back.At the end of the trip he was giving him the magazines!!! And he reported around 4 hours!!!

Does anyone in this forum has any similar experiences regarding the hours spend at the "field service"?

• Stealth453
    Stealth453

They never did when I was pioneering. I used to fudge my hours regularily. 10 minutes of street corner, 30 minute drive to the territory, 30 minutes of door knocking, 30 minute drive to the coffee shop, ....you get the picture. and I counted every second of it.

• emptywords
    emptywords

I know its called doin time. Informal witnessing is ok to count time, street witnessing and so on.

But the quaility is really bad, after I was out for nearly 17yrs I couldnt' believe the lack of bible knowledge the pioneers had and hardly ever use the bible. It is all showing the mags and placing the WT litrature.

I guess they are trying to prove something to the org or something. I'm sure a lot really are doing this for Jehovah, but the joy goes after the hassle of not at homes, and abuse the weather, the pushing to do more, it becomes a burden and Jehovah goes out the door, and then youre just doin it to get the time in.

• B_Deserter
    B_Deserter

I've known some people to be incredibly strict with their hours. They would only report time actually talking to someone at the door. I always wondered if they carried a stop watch with them.

• mad max
    mad max

Funny enough I was just thinking about this while driving my car yesterday, there you see them walking slowly down the street, passing by the people, not even offering the Mags at all (these are old "sisters" so you can imagine how slow they walk) I remember to fill the time as I needed the 60 hours, I wrote letters, inbetween having coffee and eating and cooking. JW justify themselves saying "it all right we are working for Jah and we are the chosen ones, the only ones who will get saved, so this is ok if we do it this way" and wow out comes the 60 or 90 hours, clap, clap, clap at the hall.

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420
    Re: Do the hours of the JW's reflect their actual preaching?

How could it? After more than 45 years in, I can't remember ANYONE that my parents brought into the "truth"™ Unless you count children that didn't have a choice....but then you'd have to subtract from that, because 3/4 of them no longer attend.

I wonder if they ever think abut the fact that they've lost way more than they gained?

lisa

• Effervescent
    Effervescent

I would say from personal experience and memories it's not even remotely close. If Witnesses put as much thought and imagination into careers and personal goals as they did avoiding actually talking to anyone... who knows where they'd all be.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

This is a management theory that warns organizations to be careful what they measure. If they measure the wrong thing, the organization will ultimately focus on a goal that will not take the company where it needs to go.

This is the problem with the whole "keeping time" thing. Time becomes the goal. A whole culture within the wt has developed around "keeping time." When do we start our time? How can we keep our time goining during a break? You know all the technicalities surrounding "keeping time."

Turing in your "time" is very coercive. The R&F are measured and judged based upon "how much time" they put in service. Unfortunatally, keeping time has nothing to do with what is needed to be successful. This is clearly evident by each of our individual experiences and what we read on this board.

Keeping time is just hours, and has NOTHING to do with productivity. I hope they never figure this out. If they do, they might actually do something that becomes productive and briing in people. Until then, every one will be counting time.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

It used to be stricter than that where I went. They wouldn't start their time until they actually knocked on a door, or talked to someone in street work. They also told us that, if we had something like 2 1/2 hours, to round it down to 2 hours. Or, if we had 24 1/2, that counted as 24. There were also rules that coffee breaks had to be kept down to 15 minutes or the time would have to stop, and that we couldn't count our time if we were taking a nap or doing other work.

What I did notice was counting time, once getting it started, while waiting for others to come out of the house. If I got out on a call and the other person was hung up for an hour and I had to wait, then I would count that time. This happened fairly often, as the group usually had calls to do after the first street of the territory and I used to like it when they got stuck on one. And that is especially so if it was raining and I could fog up the windows so they would have to waste time clearing them.

I also noticed that people would sometimes cheat on that 15 minute time limit. Coffee breaks would often be segued with other errands, and the time would keep going. Or, we would get the time started, then go on a coffee break, and then drive across town for a call (which I would hope was not home). There was the famous "pioneer drive" (back in the 1980s and 1990s, they would typically drive at 25 MPH). Good thing Ted Jaracz wasn't there or he would have us screeching around at 160 MPH in the city, sprinting to the doors and trying to stress us into taking the bare minimum of time to get the maximum of calls, with no coffee breaks.

Oh yes, there is the Warm Up Break. I liked it when it was freezing cold out and people needed to warm up. They would get in the car and spend half an hour warming up while our time was running. I liked to let the heat out of the car so it would take longer for people to warm up, wasting more time and getting that much less accomplished. Half the time, it worked (and the other half they would tell me that I should go to the doors alone if I was not cold).

What I did toward the end was "dummy service". I would take a walk, dressed up and with my service bag, and find a route where there was no one to place bulls*** with. Then I would count that as an hour of street work. I must have done that a dozen times (I was only going out once a month then, and I hoped for no one to show up so I could do this dummy service). At the very end, I planned to take the walk when no one was scheduled, so I could count an hour of time doing nothing useful.

By contrast, on this board I have a purpose. My post count is not that important, and neither is my rank, as long as I can help ruin the Watchtower Society by exposing their deception. And neither is the time spent posting. All I care is the amount of damage I am able to do to the organization that has caused so many people to suffer for nothing. Seems that when I was working for Ted Jaracz, I only punched the clock so I could say I did something. Now that I am working against this monster, I only care about doing something and not about the post count as much.

• Mary
    Mary
    Do the hours of the JW's reflect their actual preaching?

I can't speak for the rest of the world, but I'm guessing that around here, 3/4 of a Dub's time on their Field Service report should be credited to Tim Horton's.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit