public talk will be cut to 30 minutes in the near future (January)?

by Nulite 14 Replies latest jw friends

• Nulite
    Nulite

I've spoken with some individuals who are livid that the School/Service meeting are not shortened. They say we don't need the Sunday meeting cut, what about those long Thursday nights and the kids having school the next day. What about the people who have to work, no real logic or consideration.

NL

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

....some individuals who are livid that the School/Service meeting are not shortened. ... long Thursday nights and the kids
    having school the next day. ...people who have to work, no real logic or consideration.

I actually hope they never address this problem. Better to have the rank-and-file complaining
    about the need to skip the meeting, than them praising the organization for addressing their
    needs.

Years down the road, as the numbers shrink, they probably will do a major change in the
    TMS/Service Mtg/Book Study to make the three into one evening. Perhaps they will shorten the
    school to 25 minutes, the service meeting to 25 minutes, the book study to 25 minutes, add
    15 minutes for songs and prayers and you have 1.5 hours. It could happen. I hope it don't.

• Nulite
    Nulite

I agree OnTheWayOut

NL

• garybuss
    garybuss

From the direction the Society is heading, it looks to me like the Watchtower magazine will replace the Kingdom Ministry and the Watchtower study on Sunday will replace the Service Meeting.

I'm thinking the book study will be eliminated. The Society is struggling to produce study material for the meeting. The book study meetings are not profitable. They are mostly held in private homes where donations are either not collected or they are not forthcoming, and there is no literature counter to barter for cash with.

Now the meetings have two underlying topics. First, the meetings are about attending the meetings, and second, the meetings teach that the Governing Body has the authority to print the material that tells the people to attend the meetings.

Service is not the profit activity any more, meetings are. That can be seen in the focus of the talks as well as the shepherding calls. They don't try to get people in service, they try to get them to meetings. I think in the not too distant future, to be counted as an active Witness will be based on meeting attendance, not service.

At one time service was a benefit to the Society. Now it's a liability. The Society has the expense of producing material for the Witnesses to distribute but they are not receiving offsetting donations at the level they need. That's why the "offer" went from a hard cover book 20 years ago to a pulp paper folded tract today.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Ah Gary, I forgot to follow the money trail completely.
    The weekly meetings don't cost the organization any money so I assumed
    there was no need to cancel the bookstudy. I forgot that the literature, itself
    cost money to produce and contributions were down. I forgot that most
    bookstudy meetings don't add up to contributions to the worldwide work, so
    there really is a point where they will abandon them.

At one time service was a benefit to the Society. Now it's a liability. The Society has
    the expense of producing material for the Witnesses to distribute but they are not
    receiving offsetting donations at the level they need.

As radical as that thought is, as much as I am confident that they need the
    distribution work to keep the flocks busy, the money trail you lay out is logical.
    On their way to mainstreaming efforts, they may just abandon the work. They
    would probably go to flyer distribution then to nothing, saying the work is done or
    the message is available without the work. It could be done. That would be the
    diet version of JW's, because it will be a diminished group that hears the new light.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit