Ave Maria, FL

by Flowerpetal 10 Replies latest jw friends

• Flowerpetal
    Flowerpetal

Just heard a report on the Today Show about this new community northwest edge of the Everglades which is going to me all Catholic. Doesn't rest well with the ACLU.

Here's a little bit about the place: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ave_Maria,_Florida

• NotaNess
    NotaNess

Curious, can you work at Bethel, and not be a JW? If not, where's the ACLU?

• Flowerpetal
    Flowerpetal

Good question, NotaNess!!

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

It is a college/commune set up by the person who founded Domino's Pizza. He is a real catholic nut case.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Now that the pope has reiterated that Catholicism is the only true Christian religion (take that, JWs!), this sort of thing makes a lot of sense.

:D

• GoingGoingGone
    GoingGoingGone

There are rumors in the neighboring area that the city planners have said that they want no contreception sold in the town. When confronted on the news last night, one said that they never said that, but that they encouraged the merchants in the city to look around and remember where they were...

GGG

• Brigid
    Brigid
    work at Bethel, and not be a JW? If not, where's the ACLU

Unfortunately (or perhaps not), when it comes to federally protected classes per equal housing, people can discriminate based upon religion when certain criteria are met for said community.

who wants to work at Bethel anyway? I heard the pay is lousy, the food stinks and they don't like guuuurlz.....

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

I somehow doubt that this will be a "real" incorporated city, maybe a privately owned commune, but not an official city. If it is an official city, they will have to abide by federal and state laws.

If this "city" is open to the public, uses taxpayer funded streets, and is not a gated community, then how in the heck can they discriminate upon the basis of religion?

The WT Society in Brooklyn, while it may be a huge facility, it is still private property, not a city. They can exclude people on religious grounds, but this so called "city" in Florida? No way

• Wordly Andre
    Wordly Andre

Heck I'll move there get away from all you wacky Jehobos

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

That's interesting Worldly Andre, do you think this "city" can successfully exclude the JW's from door to door?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit