who got the hoagie $$$

by monophonic 11 Replies latest jw friends

• monophonic
    monophonic

remember them days @ DCs where we'd all get up at some god awful hour to make hoagies for the lunch time crowd?

and shasta was the cola of choice?

does anyone know how those vendors were negotiated? was it a jw on the other side, say, the bread provided for the hoagies, if someone made 1/2 cent off of every hoagie in the usa they'd be millionaires after one run of DCs.

or was it society provided?

it's so funny, they're giving talks on the harms of smoking, and clogging everyone's arteries at lunch.

AND CONSPIRACY THEORY:

all that food ended up constipating me after the first day....was that a plan to keep the people in their seats. by day four i had to take a laxative...even though i was a teen.

segue, what about all them bathroom attendents? i have a hard enough time relaxing to go in a public restroom, but when a 'humble volunteer' directs me to where i need to poo all i could think about what, he totally knows i'm pooing and for how long.

and those poor sisters...did they just think, hmm, i'm most likely going to have a BM in an hour, so time to get in line for the bathroom.

anyway, all that food had to be a profit to the society somehow.

• Stealth453
    Stealth453

Reason 1272 why I hate the watchliars. They were the worst bread logs in history.

• Wordly Andre
    Wordly Andre

I was never a hoagie fan, but I liked the muffin egg, cheese danish, and frozen orange juice. At lunch my parents would tailgate and had a picnic, I don't think my dad liked the Jehovafood very much.

• Funchback
    Funchback

Pizza was always my choice of grub.

It cost, like, 10 tickets.

• Dragonlady76
    Dragonlady76

I loved the vanilla pudding and the shasta cola

• Gopher
    Gopher

Wow Monophonic, you were up late with such interesting questions!

It was explained to me (at one of these district conventions) that they took the wholesale purchase price, doubled it, and then translated that into the equivalent number of lunch tickets.

The profit was then added to the contributions received and put into the general fund which paid the bills for the convention, and if any was left over it could be donated to the Watchtoer pedophile protection worldwide work fund.

• Funchback
    Funchback

In Pennsylvania (Philly), they eventually changed from Shasta to Vess. It was a weird brand. Vess called iteslf the 'Billion Bubble Beverage" and the can boasted "NO CHOLESTEROL".....Duh! Does ANY soda have cholesterol???

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I liked the chocolate malt ice cream...was that made by Carnation?

• Wordly Andre
    Wordly Andre

I wonder if the JW's own stock in Shasta?

• monophonic
    monophonic

thanks gopher, that's a trip. i can't believe they doubled it, so they were making 50% profit (but the whole operation was volunteer, from the prep to selling and everything....that is a huge profit margin not to have to pay out to anyone), then when the tax 'gods' came down on them, like for the literature, they went to donation, found jws weren't given it up like before and cut out the meals.

which after they discontinued it, it was hard to imagine that we actually ate that crap.....and there are times when i walk by a cheap deli and i smell shitty meat that i'm reminded of the assembly.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit