Is the Watch Tower name going away?

by garybuss 50 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• garybuss
    garybuss

Is the Watch Tower name going away? I'm seeing more use of the "Jehovah's Witnesses" name where the Watch Tower name once was such as the sponsors of the summer conventions.

Is this new, or am I just noticing it?

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I am thinking that it is part of the major division of corporations that took place.
    The congregations are part of "Christian Congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses" or
    something like that. It could be part of their protection from what happens in
    congregations or circuits.

The Mormons were trying to ditch "Mormon" and stick with "Church of Latter Day Saints."
    I don't think it stuck too well. The Watchtower might be more successful because
    your average Joe thinks they are "Jehovahs" and doesn't give a crap about the organization
    behind the name. Many people think Watchtower is just the name on the magazine.

Assembly Halls have been referred to as "Assembly Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses" for decades
    and DC's have always been referred to as "District Convention of Jehovah's Witnesses."

• Wordly Andre
    Wordly Andre

here are a couple names I can think of, The Branch Watchtowerians, Heavens Gate Watchtower Bible Tract Society, The Peoples Watchtower, just label the new Watchtower Popular Cult Weekly

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Gary..The WBT$ is genius at creating entities to hide behind..A business move...OUTLAW

• blondie
    blondie

The lead in for the conventions/assemblies changed to "Christian Congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses" in PR stuff in 2000 at the ones in my area. No more WT District Convention.

• garybuss
    garybuss

I hadn't noticed some of the branch names are called branch of Jehovah's Witnesses. Are they trying to look more like a religion than a printing business? It just struck me as odd when I saw the Philippine sign.

Speaking of business, here's a funny picture
    http://hufffamily.com/quickbuild_site.jpg

• writetoknow
    writetoknow

Maybe the watch is no longer ticking in the tower after resetting is so many times over the last hundred years.

• Stealth453
    Stealth453

I am in the Philippines, and live a block away from the local kingdung hall, and once a month I see the wt delivery truck bringing in the new supplies. Until a month ago, the truck was lettered "Watchtower Bible and Tract Society, Inc." Now that lettering has been replaced with "Jehovah's Witnesses".

You may be onto something. I thought it was strange.

• Arthur
    Arthur

OnTheWayOut summed it up well: not only is there an intended separation of entities, but also an intended separation of perceptions. Many outside of the organization do indeed think of the organization in terms of the Watchtower coporation. Many have come to see the organization (albeit correctly) as a huge printing conglomerate. The organization wants to be known as a Christian congregation; not a publishing organization. Whatever. This is like Starbucks having a CD rack in their store, and then wanting people to think of them as a music store.

• watson
    watson

Probably not a big thing, but I did notice that when you write a check to the society for a contribution, they want you to make it payable to the

Watch Tower. 2 words. I've always thought of it as the Watchtower.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit