Lurking behaviour explained

by rose petal 7 Replies latest jw friends

• rose petal
    rose petal

Hi all, as a librarian I get all sorts of stuff across my desk. Here's something that I thought would explain all the lurkers out there! Sorry the formatting and links did not transfer across.

Participation Inequality: Encouraging More Users to Contribute
    If you are running an on-line forum and wonder why people in your community are not participating as much as you would expect then see this article Participation Inequality: Encouraging More Users to Contribute from Jakob Nielsen.

http://www.useit.com/alertbox/participation_inequality.html

• 90% of users are lurkers (i.e., read or observe, but don't contribute).
    • 9% of users contribute from time to time, but other priorities dominate their time.
    • 1% of users participate a lot and account for most contributions
    So if you have less than 100 people in your community - the forum may simply not be viable.

It was very interesting. Maybe someone can restore the links.
    rose petal

• jgnat
    jgnat

Yes, I would definitely say those proportions run true for this site. Many years ago, however, it passed "critical mass" and we have more than a hundred regular posters. But those hundred posters may represent 10,000 part-time lurkers each.

It's human nature. Some need to watch the bungee jumpers for a while before they decide to strap the rubber to their ankles.

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

Its like when you go to the mall. Some people are shopping. And some people are on the benches watching the pretty girls walk by. Then one day they get the nerve to go into a store and buy something.

• sspo
    sspo

You are dealing with a cult and conscience of an individual.

Just contributing a person may feel he is sinning and will get caught by someone in the congr.

It takes firm conviction that the " truth" we beleived is all lies, than people jump in even for a short time.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

From one rose to another - I am in the 9% category, just don't have the time to contribute regularly. Ahh for the days when I had a corporate job and could cruise on the internet for hours a day!!! I also think there are more lurkers here because the Watchtower has brainwashed so many people into thinking anything other than official party line is evil, apostate and dangerous. So they may feel unconfortable posting, espcially at first. It takes time for the mind control to loosen. I was out 7 years before I even went online to do research.

• rebel8
    rebel8

I do not feel lurking in JWD chat (http://www.gabbly.com/www.jehovahs-witness.com) is polite at all. We know jws spy to try and catch people they know consorting with "apostates".

When you go to chat for hours every day just to watch, either you ARE a spy, or you know your actions are likely to be interpreted as such (which is rude). OR you are a current cultist purposely trying to discourage conversation--leave us alone--didn't you interfere enough with our social lives when we were members?

In either case, get the heck out of chat. Forums are comparable to bulletin boards--it is fine to read w/o posting. Chat rooms are like conversations--lurking without participating = eavesdropping. RUDE!

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Jgnat..1,000,000 part time lukers???...Holy Jump`n Sheep Shit!!..LOL!!...OUTLAW

• rose petal
    rose petal

Yes, well, I lurked here before I joined up. I've been out of a long time now, but one day I just put 607bc into google for the hell of it. It came up with all these answers that contradicted the dubs.I was amazed! I (foolishly) never questioned the so-called authorities before. rose petal

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit