Big Love - Sunday Night

by Flowerpetal 10 Replies latest social entertainment

• Flowerpetal
    Flowerpetal

For those of you who watch Big Love, near the end of the episode Margene was having a conversation with Bill, after he found out she was friends with Ana (his new interest). They were in a discussion about testimony and holy spirit and Bill asked her if the holy spirit spoke to her about Ana and she asked "how would you know?" and he said, "you just know."

Boy how familiar does that sound? (speaking of the holy spirit and the 144,000 chosen ones, that is)

• undercover
    undercover

Another intersting parallel...

When Ben went to visit the priest (or whatever Mormons call them) at his old Mormon ward and the guy gave him a handful of literature to read. Reminded me of when someone went to the elders and the elders told them to look it up in the Watchtower. The main difference in Ben's situation was that if a JW youth told an elder, any elder, he was having "sex...lots of it" he'd be in deep shit.

I find it interesting that both Ben and his sister (can't remember her name) both are showing signs of not wanting to be part of their parent's belief system. It doesn't matter that they aren't part of the Mormon church anymore or that Bill and Nicky have left Roman's compound. Bill is starting his own little cult in the suburbs and his oldest kids are showing signs of independant thinking which will eventually lead them to wanting to leave their "compound".

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

Yes, I thought of it that way as well. Separate from that, I saw it as my thiest days, too.

How about when the teenage son went to speak with the 'elder', whatever they call it. That entire conversation was jw all over again!

Priesthood-MS, Older Priest reference, and literature to take home and read!!

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

I had the same wierd deja vu experience; it seemed like they were witnesses, discussing how they know it is the holy spirit, and the visit to the bishop.

One of the two best shows on TV anywhere, in my opinion; the other is John from Cincinnati; man, that is one great show.

The writing is exceptional.

• Mulan
    Mulan

I had the same thoughts in the same places.

And what about that weird underground-warehouse cult? Totally weird!

Has anyone noticed that this show is produced by Tom Hanks?

• undercover
    undercover

Has anyone noticed that this show is produced by Tom Hanks?

I read (and I can't find the references anymore) that he caught a little flack from the Mormon faithful for his being a party to bringing the series to TV.

The Mormons went on a letter writing campaign when the show first started to try to get HBO to stop airing it. I read that a letter was read at the Mormon churches trying to keep their followers to keep from watching. Never could confirm that story.

I kept up a little with some of the discussions on the HBO board when it first started and it was amazing how many Mormons came to the defense of their church and condemned the show...all without even seeing an episode, or without knowing that it wasn't about the Mormon church but about fundie polygamist cults. It reminded me of JW knee jerk reactions to anything negative that was presented about them in the media.

What was fun to watch was the non-Mormon free thinkers jump all over the Mormon apologists for their righteous indignation. Some people pointed out that the Mormons getting worked up about what was on HBO was a waste of time because they shouldn't even be watching it. Reminded me of JWs condemning TV and movies that we weren't even supposted to watch.

• unique1
    unique1
    the guy gave him a handful of literature to read.

Did you notice one of the pamphlets was entitled "Satan's Thrust"?? I laughed out loud at that one!!

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

Though remember it really isn't about Mormons!!! Its about a fictional fundamentalist cult who use LDS beliefs as a core.

On the flip side it does reveal a lot about how most faiths work - especially on the spiritual side - its all about you just know type reasoning.

As one bit of apologetics though - we all use the same language to describe love and other linguistically difficult concepts. Just because we 'just know' doesn't mean you don't..

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep
    Though remember it really isn't about Mormons!!! Its about a fictional fundamentalist cult who use LDS beliefs as a core.

Yes...that's not forgotten, Q.

• Flowerpetal
    Flowerpetal

I was wondering whether or not the LDS community had a reaction to this series. Even though this show is about Mormon fundamentalists living the "principle" I would say the rest of the beliefs between mainstream LDS and the fundies are the same. In defense of LDS, they were great at diffusing the fundie christians, on a board I was on on AOL. Plus they know their theological stuff; much much better than JWs.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit