Overweight JWs -- on the increase?

by Seeker 34 Replies latest jw friends

• Seeker
    Seeker

Oh man, that's right! The coffee breaks! Forgot about those. I was in one congregation that would meet for service on Saturday morning at 9:30am. By the time they got to their cars in the parking lot it would be close to 10. Then they would head straight for McDonald's! Have some breakfast, talk a while, wake up with coffee. Then head out in service around 10:45am, go for half-an-hour, and then drive around till quarter-to-noon doing RVs. Then drive back to the Hall and be there at 12 on the dot. Talk about a waste of time! But the food was good...

Great memories, everyone. Yeah, the hoagies and the burritos at the assembly. Remember when the donation arrangment first went into effect and people didn't have to pay directly to get food? Oh boy, the orders started flying in!

"I'd like 5 burritos, and 4 turkey sandwiches, and 7 hoagies, and 3 corn chips, and 4 potato chips, and 8 puddings, and 5 Lemon Limes and 3 Colas, and give me another 2 puddings, and throw in another corn chips, and the fruit bag."

• Moxy
    Moxy

oh, how i miss the coffee breaks. i dont think a donut and coffee will EVER taste as good as they do on an extended mid-morning saturday coffee break, ever again.

mox

• Skimmer
    Skimmer

Yes, I think we are seeing an increase in the girth of those representing "God's Only True Channel".

Maybe the WTBTS will use this in a new column in their annual statistics report. Instead of listing "Average Publishers", they could report "Publisher Tonnage" by country. The WTBTS could glowingly report, "We now have over five hundred thousand metric tons of publishers in the door-banging ministry, an increase of seventeen percent from last year."

Perhaps there will be a new contribution box in each Kingdom Hall: "Donations To Replace Our Crummy Plastic Chairs That Can Only Support 120 Kilograms".

• Tina
    Tina

OMG Skimmer,I'm rollin on the floor here lolololol....hugs,T

si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes

• RedhorseWoman
    RedhorseWoman

Well, of course, they're overweight. Not only do JWs eat at every opportunity and take numerous coffee breaks, but also, exercise and outdoor activity is not exactly recommended.

Remember the articles warning against engaging in sports or exercise programs? "Exercise is beneficial for a little", but.....

I can remember the articles that stated that walking in field service was all the exercise any good JW needed to stay healthy.

Everything they do involves sitting. Five hours+ at meetings, riding in a car to the territory, weekends spent sitting at an assembly. Sitting down and studying WT literature. Not much time left for activity.

• crittersitter
    crittersitter

ahhh, the good ole days of FS...dunkin donuts here we come!!!
    there is an increase in obesity all over the usa, but in jw land i think depression is a huge factor in obese sisters. all the ones i grew up with save 1 was over weight...and all depressed
    go figure

• ring
    ring

seeker,
    that had to be the funnyist post I have ever read.That brought back
    alot of memorys. I was about 14 or 15 during the change over
    between "paying" and "free food" at assemblys. The cream cheese danish
    was a highly sought after item.they were usually all gone by the middle of the second day. We were sitting behind a quite large woman
    once who had six children. Each childs job during the noon hour was to go around to each food stand and get four danishs,pack them back to mama,and move on to the next food stand. The mother had several
    brown paper bags, and her husbands job was to pack them to the car when one was filled.Ah, those were the days.

• Seeker
    Seeker

ring,

Each childs job during the noon hour was to go around to each food stand and get four danishs,pack them back to mama,and move on to the next food stand.

ROFL! Yeah, I also worked in food service at that time, and I remember the roving band of urchins hording all the food supplies. It got so bad we had to tell them No a few times.

Nothing like telling a JW that the assembly food is now "free". Stand back!

• teenyuck
    teenyuck

One question I have asked my deeply JW family--why is it OK to kill yourself with saturated fat and not get DF'd? Why does a smoker who kills him/herself with tobacco get DF'd? Both are addicted to something. One is chips and fries, the other cigarettes.

Obesity and the related health issues (diabetes, heart disease etc) are just as deadly and just as "dirty."

My family has no answer, except that the JW's are lightening up (no pun) on smoking.

• Kent
    Kent

Seeker, my man - don't bluff:

Consider the JW lifestyle. You can't take drugs

If the good doctorst stoped prescribing drugs to the JWs, the "spiritual paradise" would fall apart like US foreign policy!

Any drug addict would come to heaven, finding the medicine box of a JW!

Yakki Da

Kent

I need more BOE letters, KMs and other material. Those who can send it to me - please do! The new section will be interesting!!

Daily News On The Watchtower and the Jehovah's Witnesses:
    http://watchtower.observer.org

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit