Overweight JWs -- on the increase?

by Seeker 34 Replies latest jw friends

• Seeker
    Seeker

Yes, I know, the title is a pun. It was deliberate.

I can recall in the 1970s seeing very few overweight JWs. In fact, I used to think (in my arrogant JW manner) that this was a sign of how JWs were better at self-control than worldly people. Yes, I now know there are other factors often at work in weight gain, but that was my thought back then.

As the decades went on, I began to see more and more overweight JWs. Has anyone else noticed this? If so, what might be causing it?

Certainly, at least in Westernized countries, the overall population is getting more overweight. It no longer surprises me to see an obese child; it's become that common a sight. This is usually chalked up to less exercise/more TV and video games, as well as increasing junk food consumption. I'm sure those are valid factors, and could easily apply to JWs as well. But I think there is one more factor at work among JWs: Greed.

Consider the JW lifestyle. You can't take drugs, drink to excess (well, not supposed to...), go to that many parties, celebrate birthdays or holidays or office parties. What can you do? What will not get you in trouble no matter what? Eating. What do Witnesses love to do when they get together? Eat. What do JW eyes do when they see the dessert platter? Light up.

This is their only legal addiction. They are so repressed in so many other ways, I wonder if they don't let it out when they get to the dinner table, especially during social settings. Ever want to see a JW elder display greed? Watch him at the all-you-can-eat buffet.

Has anyone else noticed this?

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

Not sure if we're seeing more overweight JWs than in the general population - but certainly not any less.

Your comments did remind me of a conversation I had with a young brother a few years ago. We were at a Circuit Assembly, and it was in the Sunday mid-day break. I was on my way out of the Org., and the young brother was struggling. We were talking about the program, and he said that he just found himself getting angrier and angrier as the program went on. He described all the brothers who were speakers as overweight, middleaged men who could barely button their suitjackets spouting platitudes and threats - and that he simply couldn't relate to them at all. I had to admit to him that I was struggling with the same feelings. There was not an original thought flowing down off that platform for talk after talk.

The program was like watching all the bad, bald, fat speakers at a convention of lousy salesmen.

S4

• Seeker
    Seeker
    The program was like watching all the bad, bald, fat speakers at a convention of lousy salesmen.

That's quite the word picture...{{shudder}}

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Seeker,

lol - Or as You Know might say - "the shimmering and twittering apostate do-badders have never contemplated the prophecies in Jeremiah which clearly point to a fattening of Gods people just before he brings judgment to them first, and then sets his sights on all the rest of the feeble minded, pusillanimous, pus filled tubs of lard who inhabit the wider reaches of this sorry planet…".

They have grown fat; they have become shiny. They have also overflowed with bad things. No legal case have they pleaded, even the legal case of the fatherless boy, that they may gain success; and the judgment of the poor ones they have not taken up.’"Jeremiah 5:28
  • Seeker
    Seeker
    They have grown fat; they have become shiny. They have also overflowed with bad things.

ROFL! Hey, I was in that congregation!

Seriously, I can recall being at a get-together, and around one table were five or six older sisters, retirement age. Dessert was brought out and laid on that table to be sliced, and I watched the eyes of these older sisters. Several of them eyed the cake with what can only be described as raw, naked greed.

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

lol

naked greed

I guess that is what happens to those infected by the 'me-fat generation'

HS

• GermanXJW
    GermanXJW

One thing may be that you cannot associate in sport clubs and that you are always told that sports are not very beneficial.

And since field service hours are declining...

• momoftwo
    momoftwo

Ahh...this takes me back to the days of watching people make a mad dash for the hoagies and burritos. Remember how mad you'd be when you'd get to the front of the line and all that was left was fruit bags? As my mom used to say, "serve food and watch the Witnesses come."

I hadn't noticed the weight problem before I left, but the depression thing seemed to be running rampant. I'm sure it's worse now. If I heard one more talk on bi-polar disorders, I think I would have destroyed the sound system.

• jaded
    jaded

This reminds me of a Witness get together I attended some years ago. Everyone was commenting on how delicious everything was and one sister jokingly said "No wonder Witnesses are such good cooks. It's the only thing we're allowed to do." Funny how these topics bring back so many wierd little memories.

• Tina
    Tina

Hi Seeker,
    I don't know how much of a pun that really is. My personal experience says that they are overweight. My cong. had to be almost 90% in that condition. many morbidly obese.
    That's where FS did nothing to promote a healthy lifestyle. The pioneer shuffle was not enough to increase heart rate for any cardiovascular benefits.
    And considering all the donut shops and fast food stops,it's actually an unhealthy lifestyle.
    I'm not talking about the 20 lbs over the optimum healthy weight here. I'm talking a lifetime of obesity.
    I recall an attitude among many of the sisters. They ate like gluttons,but didn't worry. They actually told me'these things will be fixed in the new system'. They took that as license to abuse food and their health.
    Yes,there are some with endocrine probs.,but not very many. That was used to excuse and justify the lifestyle far too often.
    Just my dos centavos from personal experience. Tina
    Ps I dont want to leave out medical conditions that have limited ones freedom of movement and activity. I'm thinking those with MS,arthritis and various other illnesses that dont allow them the range of activity they wish they could join in. I have the utmost empathy for them.T

si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit