Help me settle a bet.....lemons and limes

by minu 19 Replies latest jw friends

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Minu..You are right ..Lemons and limes are not the same..You win the bet..Go collect your money!...Chef OUTLAW

• restrangled
    restrangled

If you get away from the citrus family and go to Bananas....its the same thing.

There are desert bananas, general eating bananas (you know the ones you get at the grocery store) and Plantains.

All from the same family, but all different.

Getting back to citrus fruits. Every variety is different and does best in different cooking scenario's, for instance the key lime from Florida. No matter how hard you try, you cannot duplicate the flavor as such without the true key lime.

r.

r.

• minu
    minu

Okay, i am satisfied that I WIN. Thanks all for your help, I tried google but it was confusing for me. maybe i just didn't ask the correct question on google. No, i'm not a blonde although sometimes it seems like it.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

O! O! O! I want to comment too!

Both are members of the CITRUS family, but they are separate species; Citrus × limon, Citrus × latifolia.

There are varieties of lemons and limes too; e.g., Meyer or Valley Lemons (deliciously sweet) and Key Limes (for use by locksmiths only).

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Someone once tried to cross a lemon with a lime..They got an Evil Banana!..Evil Banana..LOL!!...OUTLAW

• restrangled
    restrangled

Outlaw is the biggest pistol I know ......what a sense of silly humor.!!!! (Must be all that time in the woods with the lack of fresh bananas and citrus)

r.

• Gopher
    Gopher

Jaguarbass said:

We have lemons and limes all over here in Florida. The lime taste green and the lemon taste yellow. Its pretty simple.

I love having your key lime pie! It's the best dessert under the sun! Now a key lime pie is QUITE DIFFERENT from a lemon (or lemon meringue) pie. But tell me this Jaguarbass, you do know that even though a lime is green, authentic key lime pie is really yellow. Why is that? (You can tell a fake key lime pie -- it has that green food-coloring in it.) - Jeff of the "I heard pie r squared in school, but I know pies are round" class

• changeling
    changeling

Collect on the bet dear, they are two different fruit.

changeling

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

According to Wikipedia, the common grocery-store lime is Citrus x latifolia; the lemon is Citrus × limon. Just to confuse things further:

• The Key Lime is Citrus aurantiifolia.
    • Both species of lime turn yellow when ripe; when you buy them in the store, they're green – unripe.
    • In Spanish, limón means both lime and lemon.

GentlyFeral

• FreedomFrog
    FreedomFrog
    According to Wikipedia, the common grocery-store lime is Citrus x latifolia; the lemon is Citrus × limon. Just to confuse things further:
    • The Key Lime is Citrus aurantiifolia.
    • Both species of lime turn yellow when ripe; when you buy them in the store, they're green – unripe.
    • In Spanish, limón means both lime and lemon.

So in the stores they can sell the lemons as "limes" and we wouldn't know? Has anyone tasted a green lemon? Do they taste the same as limes? So limes become yellow when they are ripe....wow, I didn't know this!!!!

Froggy (of the going off to do the lime/lemon research class)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit