DESIGN WITHOUT A DESIGNER??? tsk-tsk.

by karvel 20 Replies latest watchtower bible

• karvel
    karvel

hot on the heels of Behe's latest comes the aug,15 wt: What Does Design in Nature Reveal? they even used a nautilus for their cover. yikes.

cover:
    alt

text:
    http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/9301/scan2lc5.jpg
    http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/8242/scan3en6.jpg
    http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/3900/scan4le3.jpg
    http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/1673/scan5il3.jpg
    http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/7831/scan6tk9.jpg

i know most of us are beyond what the WTS has to say on evolution but this stuff sure brings the LOLZ.

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

The Watchtower is absolutely right that design is impossible without a designer. If something is designed, then by definition it has a designer. What the Watchtower and many other creationists do is point to something complex, appeal to our intuition that it looks designed, declare it to be designed and then - ta-da! - it must have a designer who is of course the god of the bible. In reality of course, natural selection explains the variety and complexity of life on earth far better than the self-contradictory "intelligent design" hypothesis.

• Mary
    Mary

Even more importantly, does Crooklyn not realize that they've got a 'pagan symbol' on the front of the August WT?

Symbols of Ostara

Symbols used to represent Ostara include the egg (for fertility and eproduction) and the hare (for rebirth and resurrection), the New Moon, butterflies and cocoons.

• besty
    besty

I'm in the middle of reading Richard Dawkins The God Delusion and he expands on funkyderek's point about natural selection at some length.

Additionally he notes that creationists use other specious arguments eg. "Because science has gaps in its knowledge and can't explain everything, then our ID theory which explains everything (and nothing at the same time) must be right.

I think that every ex-JW must give themselves a fair chance at being exposed to information such as Dawkins presents to at least allow for the possibility that there is no God.

Cheers

Besty

• veen
    veen

So. If they wish to argue that only a fool could possibly believe that a cell could spontaneously spring into existence, how do you go about explaining the existence of a god? Did he spontaneously spring into existence or did he evolve? 'Right thinking ones' couldn't possibly say that god came to being in a 'big bang' manner, because that concept has been so heavily poopooed over the years. Nor could he have evolved in any way, because the wtbts' flawless logic has proved, without a shadow of a doubt, that things cannot change over a period of millions or billions of years. That would be just stupid.

So I'm tempted to go to the study for this watchtower and put my hand up. "Yes brothers", I would say, "As only an idiot would believe these haughty god denying scientist who say that things can just spring into existence(which they don't), the only logical conclusion therefore brothers is that god must have had a designer, as he is infinitely more complex than a single celled organism, what with creating billions of universes and all that. Ultimately, using the logical thinking which the society have displayed in this watchtower, I can categorically state therefore that god cannot be 'The Alpha and Omega' as he says he is, and is therefore a liar."

• AlanF
    AlanF

This is just business as usual. The Society has always borrowed its ideas on creation versus evolution from other creationists. The September 2006 Awake! was dedicated to this topic, and said borrowed all of its ideas from Behe and his ilk, but added the usual Watchtower twists. I'm sure this latest Watchtower will do the same.

AlanF

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Even more importantly, does Crooklyn not realize that they've got a 'pagan symbol' on the front of the August WT?

Do they not realize?

They put it there on purpose! LOL!

• DeusMauzzim
    DeusMauzzim

To assert that the earth revolves around the sun is as erroneous as to claim that Jesus was not born of a virgin.

- Cardinal Bellarmino, 17th Century Church

For many thinking individuals, the evidence that supports a Supreme Designer is unmistakable

- Anonymous Watchtower Writer, 21th Century Watchtower Bible & Tract Society

Well let's keep this positive for humanity: baby steps, baby steps

I do like the cover illustration though :)

- Deus Mauzzim

• B_Deserter
    B_Deserter

What about God? The Witnesses believe that God has always been. Therefore, God didn't have a designer. So if a God complex and knowledgeable enough to create the universe didn't need a designer, then why does the relatively simple universe need one?

• sf
    sf

So explain "created in His image".

Who's image was this supposed bible god created in?

sKally, as the world turns klassalt

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit