Pictures at White Wolf Sanctuary

by Gretchen956 12 Replies latest social entertainment

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

Yesterday some friends and I went to visit the Oregon White Wolf Sanctuary. Its the only Arctic Wolf Sanctuary in the United States, and only takes wolves born in captivity that are abused or unwanted. They were absolutely gorgeous. We didn't know it before we went, but she had just gotten four wolf pups, they were delivered to her at 3-1/2 weeks of age. The were almost 12 weeks yesterday and you can tell they will be huge.

The adult wolves ranged from 150 pounds for the females, to 170 pounds for the males. The are big but really don't look like they would weigh that much. Must be all muscle. She has 80 acres in the middle of nowhere, the fences are about 12 feet high and extend another three feet underground.

This woman is amazing.

Enjoy!
    Sherry

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

There are better pictures than I could take on her website. She can actually get inside the enclosures where I could not.

http://www.white-wolf-sanctuary.com/

Sherry

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

I don't know if this will work, but this is just too cute.

Sherry

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

Amazing photo's Sherry! Where in Oregon is the sanctuary and is it open to the public? I was able to visit the wolf compound up in Ontario a few years back and it was great but the white wolves are beautiful! Thanks so much for sharing those...sammieswife.

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

Sammies, yes it is open to the public by appointment. She charges 30.00, its how she pays for their feed. She also has a road-kill contract with the state Department of Transportation. She' s located near a tiny town called Tidewater, which is about 5 miles or so from Waldport on the central Oregon coast. If you are familiar at all, its just down the coast from Newport. All in all the Oregon coast is amazing, but I had no idea this was around too.

Sherry

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

Thanks! I was up there 2x last year so I'm going to keep this in mind. Great work she's doing and my hat goes off to her! sammieswife.

• Madame Quixote
    Madame Quixote

Wow! Sherry, that is so inspiring. Thanks for sharing such a wonderful, yet sad thing.

• Jade
    Jade

Those are awesome and it's wonderful that they have a place for them. We have a big cat sanctuary not too far from us that we like to visit. One of my friends is a volunteer there. It's crazy that some of these animals were confiscated from people who thought they could keep them in an apartment!!

• misanthropic
    misanthropic

Wow, those pictures are bautiful, it must have been incredible just being there.

It's crazy that some of these animals were confiscated from people who thought they could keep them in an apartment!!

That's very crazy, I wonder how they even got ahold of them to keep as pets in the first place. I've only seen animals like that in a zoo or on TV.

• codeblue
    codeblue

Kewl pics

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit