meditation: your thoughts? :)

by DeusMauzzim 36 Replies latest jw friends

• Warlock
    Warlock

I have no thoughts. My mind is blank.

Warlock

• lesterd
    lesterd

Meditation is the innward search for God, for it is there that he resides. It is the deepest form of prayer. And what does one have to do? The blank state is not what the WT makes it out to be, it is the concentration on one thing, to block the everyday background noise so that you can focus on one thing to gain the most out of it, be it a problem to solve or to elevate a state of being or consciousness.

Deepok Chopra teaching a combination of Eastren and Westren philosophy that has the easiest way to meditate.

• White Dove
    White Dove

From what I've read, you are supposed to acknowledge your thoughts without actually thinking on them. Just notice they are there. I meditated once recently and took a trip into the galaxy around the stars while growing roots into the entire earth. Then I pulled them back into my body while returning one galaxy at a time to our solar system then our planet. Then I was once again sitting on my living room floor. It takes practice to remain focused but it was worth it! What a trip! I'm going to do it again

• White Dove
    White Dove

If it is so bad to meditate, then it is equally as bad to try to fall asleep at night. You use the same technique!

• MadTiger
    MadTiger

I have come to find out that the JW leadership idea of meditation is very simplistic.

Your mind is "blank" so that you can place what you want to focus on in there.

http://www.3rd-millennium-inc.com/Natural/Meditation.doc

• gumby
    gumby

Ok, who's the sick bastard that encouraged me to meditate?

I sat in a chair in a quiet room, started the breathing idea, and this bastard shows up.....WTF?

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

Your suposta close your eyes. Not look in a mirror, Gumbo.

I was just thinking about you while having lunch....and here you are. Must be magic.

j

• poppers
    poppers

From lesterd: "The blank state is not what the WT makes it out to be, it is the concentration on one thing, to block the everyday background noise so that you can focus on one thing to gain the most out of it, be it a problem to solve or to elevate a state of being or consciousness."

I would assert, through personal experience, that meditation and concentration are different. Concentration is indeed the narrowing down of focus to the exclusion of everything else. This can lead to marvelous powers of concentration as well as a massive headache, but it has little to do with meditation. It is possible through concentration to induce altered states of consciousness, but meditation is not about the achievement of fleeting altered states of consciousness that are mystical in nature but the recognition of one's true essence, pure consciousness.

Meditation, on the other hand, is a total opening up to what is presently here and in its truest natural form a complete "non-doing", without effort, unlike concentration which takes considerable effort. Natural meditation is total acceptance, even of background noise, so that attention is free to see what doesn't change - consciousness - and so begin the dissolving of identification with mental ideas of who you think yourself to be, the root of suffering. Other forms of meditation, if any good, will lead to this natural meditation if practiced regularly.

• gumby
    gumby

Hey brother James.....now that's a bit spooky. Are you sure you ain't just sweet on me?

Gumby

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas
    Are you sure you ain't just sweet on me?

No. Never. Not a chance. Highly unlikely. Well, maybe a little.

j

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit