A few things I don't understand about the bible

by Leander 64 Replies latest jw friends

• Leander
    Leander

There have always been things about the bible that never really made much sense to me. Not to say that I disagree with whats in the bible but I have wondered about the fairness of certain things.

1. For example I've always even as a child thought that it was odd that so many people would die during armageddon. Now as an adult and I understand people better than I did years ago I really do feel puzzled about the fact that according to the scriptures the majority of mankind will perish. Basically JW's have been taught that only those who accept Jehovah and serve in his organization will gain life. Of course its been mentioned on several occasions that there may be exceptions. But I think about how a lot of people will simply ignore JW's who come to preach for a variety of reasons. Some people truly believe they already have the right religion, some will steer clear of witnesses because of their history of failed predictions and still others may not beleive in God because of the state the world is in right now. It just seems kind of unfair that those people should die simply because they really don't know any better. And when you think about it that covers quite a few people.

2. Another thing that I find a bit odd is the account of Noah. Everyone on the planet with the exception of Noah and his small family perished by means of a flood. Whats the odds of someone believing a man who tells you that water is going to fall from the sky for 40 days and 40 nights? Especially considering that rain had never occured before. I don't if Noah had any special significance or proof back then as being known as a man of God, but would'nt it be hard for the average person to believe such a message? But whatever the case many lives were lost.

3. Another thing I'm having problems understanding is the issue of God's servants being considered blood guilty if they don't preach. Now I do realize that the since God is the creator of the Earth and everything on it he has the right to say what should happen. But I'm very confused as to why we would be threatened with death if we don't preach. Its like we're being held responsible for the lives of other humans. Maybe I'm misunderstanding that command but I feel that its not my fault that the world is in the shape thats its in, I'm a victim in this system like everyone is. And then to have the additional burden of warning others or else seems to be kind of harsh. I don't know maybe I have the wrong view on that one, afterall I would want someone to tell me how to get life if I did'nt already know about it.

There are other things I could go into but I'll leave at this for now.

Whats your thougts?

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

I'll tackle #2.

You don't believe in Santa Clause, do you? nuff said.

• Leander
    Leander

If we're to consider that Noah is mythical would'nt that mean we have to discard the rest of the bible as well?

• willy_think
    willy_think

#3 is not from the bible. it is from the WTB&TS.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Your call on that, some people find a tortured explanation to live with wherein the bible is from god, but not literal. I think they are spiritual titty babies, but that is just my opinion. Be a man, face facts.

But make no mistake, the flood didn't happen. All the animals didn't come from pairs saved on an ark, and we didn't all come from a small handfull of the same literal family 4500 years ago. May as well believe in Santa Clause. Really.

• Kent
    Kent

Personally I would say that ANYONE who claims to understand ANYTHING from sheer nonsense - should see a shrink!

The Babble, excuse me - Bible - is a book it's unbelievable anyone can actually believe in. I can understand those who never investigated anything - window-cleaners and stuff, but.....

On the other hand, we need to have aggressive soldiers to fight people believeing in OTHER books - so it does have a purpose. The funny thing is - that is what it was written for in the first place, back a few hundred years before the so called "christ".

Yakki Da

Kent

I need more BOE letters, KMs and other material. Those who can send it to me - please do! The new section will be interesting!!

Daily News On The Watchtower and the Jehovah's Witnesses:
    http://watchtower.observer.org

• Victoria Cruz
    Victoria Cruz

All of the things you mentioned and other things I have wondered myself, make me question the validity of the bible. *gasp*
    And now when I think about the beliefs of Jehovah's Witnesses and other religions, why not think that God could wipe out so many people? He has, several times. Even innocent babies. Or had them killed by "godly" men. So it's not a far off idea.

• Leander
    Leander
    Your call on that, some people find a tortured explanation to live with wherein the bible is from god, but not literal. I think they are spiritual titty babies, but that is just my opinion. Be a man, face facts.
    But make no mistake, the flood didn't happen. All the animals didn't come from pairs saved on an ark, and we didn't all come from a small handfull of the same literal family 4500 years ago. May as well believe in Santa Clause. Really.

I understand why you feel the way that you do 6. I've often questioned whether or not the bible is just fiction as well. The one thing that totally prevents me from throwing it all away is prophecy. I can't explain why things that were written so long ago are coming true right now. If there was a hole in the credibility of prophecies then I'd discard everything I ever learned from the bible.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine
    I can't explain why things that were written so long ago are coming true right now. If there was a hole in the credibility of prophecies then I'd discard everything I ever learned from the bible.

I'm not aware of any supernatural predictions from the bible that have come true.

If you mean things such as "for men will be lovers of pleasure... disobediant to parents...." etc, all I can say is "c'mon, get real".

Someone posted (and I would love to see it again if you're out there) a list of quotes from history, wherein "wise men" had lamented how "children were so rebellious and delinquent, about to be the ruin of society" or substance thereof. The first of those quotes came well before the bible "prophecy" of the same.

I would love to see a high level discussion of bible prophecies and their accuracy, it is one of the things I never found on the net as I was struggling with the issues you are now. I have eventually come to the conclusion that a "high level" discussion must not exist, simply because there must be no evidence for any supernatural predictions.

In a weird way, it would be almost comforting to be proven wrong. Although then one would have to deal with all the evil perpetrated as Gods will in the Bible.

• JanH
    JanH

Leander,

The one thing that totally prevents me from throwing it all away is prophecy. I can't explain why things that were written so long ago are coming true right now.

Can you come up with any examples of such prophecies?

- Jan
    --
    "Doctor how can you diagnose someone with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder and then act like I had some choice about barging in here right now?" -- As Good As It Gets

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit