Ore. court rules against Mormon church's effort to keep finances secret

by jgnat 15 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

Nnon profit! or in this case, non prophet.

Sherry

• KAYTEE
    KAYTEE

Well done Gretchen, we can't have too many posts like this one.

bttt

KT

• brunnhilde
    brunnhilde

What's frustrating is that even if the WT$ was forced to disclose their assets, rather than seeing the dollar amount, the R&F would merely moan and murmur excitedly about "the beast" turning on Jehovah's representative, you remember, the whole "touching his eyeball" load o' crap? Personally I'd like to see them gouge his eyeball right out!

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

I'm stunned by the comments here.

As a UK citizen I admire a lot about the US but the money grubbing side turns my stomach.

1/ Are you really saying that affiliation with an organisation makes the organisation culpable for all an individuals choices and crimes!!!????
    2/ How on earth is it justice to say that abuse of some individual is worth the hard earned donations of millions of people. Its like authorising a lottery on the assetts of anyone. If you can somehow get some brain dead jury and some a**hole lawyer to convince the system that someone is culpable - no matter how ridiculous the link - then you can legally gain entitlement to their assets???
    3/ The LDS church as well as most if not all churches promote positive behaviour with regards to sexual morality. Our sick society would rather sue the easy targets rather than the media whores and sex industry that has committed awful crimes and encouraged lewd and deviant behaviour. Its like mugging a nun because you don't like the doctrine of limbo and all standing around applauding. Sometimes a thread exposes the cranal imbecility of the masses.
    4/ Is it justice to get some bizzare astronomic financial settlement when someone who kills in a car crash heads of to jail for a few months and pays a couple of hundred pounds fine? When did we get so warped that this is considered a just thing?

I say bring back individual responsibility , quit witch hunting, think about what this really entails and ask yourself if that's the land you want your children fighting for in foreign countries. In your rush to tear down the last few institutions that promote a heightened social conscience and the teachings of the greatest social teacher there has ever been make sure that you button up when you get caught in the backlash and I sue your ass off because you're breathing my air. Grr.

It's because of idiots that packets of peanuts contain warnings 'This product may contain nuts.'

• gumby
    gumby
    The LDS church as well as most if not all churches promote positive behaviour with regards to sexual morality.

Positive behaviour with regards to sexual morality as in having many wives?

In your rush to tear down the last few institutions that promote a heightened social conscience and the teachings of the greatest social teacher there has ever been

......along with the teachings of a wacked out man who's teachings mislead millions of people.

Gumby

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

Gumby - please provide evdence that the LDS faith promotes polygamy. To suggest that because a religion teaches things you don't believe makes them a target for the madness of lawyer land is not one of your stronger arguments.

I'm surprised by how annoyed I feel by the whole compensation culture argument. I can just see how this can pan out:

M'Lud it is easily proven that the accussed, Phil NotGuiltySocietyMadeMeDoIt, was into sport and always wore Nike when breaking into people's houses. I move that the extra bounciness of Air Jordan trainers made it possible to be extra quiet in the houses he burgled and to reach items higher up. To this end I move we sue Nike for damages. As additional evidence I'd like to present evidence that Nike uses sweat shops and despite providing thousands of jobs in third world countries and for our economy they need to pay big. My client although losing a portable telly, a necklace worth $10 and having to pay for the broken window has since sufferred $5 billion dollars worth of stress and has had to buy a $5 baseball bat.

Please present the Nike CEO.

Phil Knight - does Nike put any kind of warnings in its clothes to the effect that these sweatpants and trainers cannot be used for criminal activities?

No

Is it also true that in a study of juvenile delinquents compared with privileged ivy league children that Nike usage was greatest amongst the criminal elements and Guicci usage was much seen to be greatest in the respectable set, a clear indication that Nike is encouraging gang bonding and anti-social criminality unlike the more socally aware Guicci brand?

Er..that's a marketing report.

Thank you the defendant will now step down while I sum up.

While the act of burglary carried out by Phil was indeed the initial cause of this case his inability to pay and his obvious collusion with the abominable and evil Nike empire leads me to move that Phil should suffer according to the law and be put on a community charge for 5 days (reduced to 2 if he turns up on the first day and works hard.) and that Nike should pay for the emotional trauma by handing over $5 billion and 5 dollars so that my client can live in luxury for the rest of their life which is the only just compensation that can be suggested. Let this also send a warning shot over Nike's bows to remind them that their responsibility for others actions does not stop when people buy their products - it is a life long committment. Remember a consumer is for life - not just for shopping.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit