Living in a bottle

by Haereticus 10 Replies latest jw friends

• Haereticus
    Haereticus

Through the years JW are taught not to read this and that, ham radio was evil (altghough Awake listed frequencies and sceduled times for JW hams), today this is applied to Internet as well. I hope this NGO/DPI alone will prove the dangers associated here. Blind faith simply does not pay off.

Here is one way of describing the difference how faith can be based either on assumption or a proven knowledge. A friend of mine has manifested this in practise.

One may assume that one has concuered ones alkoholism by the fact that one has been without alcohol x number of days. Knowledge of this concuest is proven by the fact that one pours a single drink and caps the bottle for x number of days.

Anyway for us Nordic replace the drink with so called "Friday bottle".

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

I used to live in a bottle, then I found Alcoholic's Anonymous.

YERUSALYIM
    "Vanity! It's my favorite sin!"
    [Al Pacino as Satan, in "DEVIL'S ADVOCATE"]

• Haereticus
    Haereticus

My friend lived from or by the bottle an AA helped him to control the consumption. Anyway that was not the point I was striving for.

• NameWithheld
    NameWithheld

I take your point is that the one alcoholic can ASSUME he's OK, based on the fact that he hasn't taken a drink in while. While on the other hand the other alcoholic who pours a drink every day, but yet does not consume the drink has proven that he has beaten alcoholism?

Nevermind, re-read your post ... you're saying the one who takes a single drink and has the power to put the bottle away after that has beaten it.

• Haereticus
    Haereticus

I was not precise. What I am referring to is that how much stronger your faith would possibly prove if you can challenge it. It seems JW rather stick their head into a bush than follow what is happening around them.

What comes to my friend - he takes occasional drink, maybe two but that is the absolute limit. About 25 yrs ago first drink was a start of a spree. He abstained for about 20 yrs and masters it now.

This is a good practise for me to express myself so that an english speaking would also catch the idea. But I recon there is a long way to go as the illusion created by a word or an idiom differs.

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Hae,

Actually, neither the not drinking nor the pouring one drink and walking away are proof of "conquering" alcoholism. Rather, it's the changed life itself that is the proof. The absence of alcohol consumption is not what true sobriety is about, but rather the changed life. Just so with faith. HOW one's life is changed by it is it's proof to that individual.

YERUSALYIM
    "Vanity! It's my favorite sin!"
    [Al Pacino as Satan, in "DEVIL'S ADVOCATE"]

• Tina
    Tina

Hello and welcome haereticus,
    Actually I duuno how apt that analogy is here. Comparing faith to alchoholics. Actually what has been proven is that once an alchoholic starts THINKING he has 'mastered' his addiction.That he has become more powerful than it,is when relapse occurs.There is no guarantee that the 2 drink limit will last. It usually doesn't.It's the start of a downward spiral.This goes for relying on the supernatural to 'fix things for us'.Once you think you have proven your path is the only right one,are you in danger of losing tolerance,love and empathy for others.
    In essence it doesn't prove faith and mastery,it shows how easily we can deceive ourselves about things.Religion alcohol,all substances ideas that relieve one from personal responsibiity. Just my thoughts,Tina

si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes

• bboyneko
    bboyneko

Fred Hal Living in a bottle

.. http://www.bonsaikitten.com

• NameWithheld
    NameWithheld

Oh you've done it now bboy!!!!!!!

• NameWithheld
    NameWithheld

Look out, it's PETA!!

Fred's gonna get you ...