If Andy Griffith Was an Elder....

by SixofNine 20 Replies latest jw friends

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

I think Barney do`s run Bethel!

• karen7680
    karen7680

Opie would look up at Andy with his little freckled face and say, "Gee Paw, I reckon they got themselves in a mess of trouble."

And Andy (the elder) would say, "No Ope, it's not like that. It's just one of those adult things ... I reckon maybe you'll understand when you're older."

Crummy red-neck elders ... they're all the same! :)

"Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one's definition of your life; define yourself."
    -Harvey Fierstein

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Hi Six,

Speaking from an entirely European perspective... What the hell is this thread about anyway?

Is this the 'Matlock' chap? The guy that makes older people look like incompetent fools and has an obsession with displaying appalling table manners and belching like a cement mixer on screen?

Now 'Morse', that is a guy worth imagining as an elder. Middle class, heavy drinker, out of shape and as bitter as fox in the House Of Lords.

HS

• TMS
    TMS

SixofNine:

This is a wonderful thread. Sheriff Taylor would have been a superb elder. . . . commonsensical, not high on protocol, seeing people for what they really are, not their veneer. He would have brushed aside Talmudlike rules as so much poppycock, just as he dismissed Barney's booktaught notions of law enforcement.
    86% of the Opies wouldn't have necessarily forsaken their core beliefs with the kind of nurturing and room-to-grow Taylor allowed.

Wistfully thinking about what could-have-been, should-have-been.

TMS

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Otis is running the congregation ala the tradition of DA JUDGE!

YERUSALYIM
    "Vanity! It's my favorite sin!"
    [Al Pacino as Satan, in "DEVIL'S ADVOCATE"]

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

LOL at Hillary & TMS.

Speaking from an entirely European perspective... What the hell is this thread about anyway?

This is about a thought that struck me when I read a quote from Boutros Boutros Ghali. While Kofi Annon (sp?) seems a fair bloke, my life was always brightened by hearing or saying the words "Boutros Boutros Ghali".

Give it a try folks..... eh? Your smiling right now aren'tcha? Never fails.

Andy Griffith is indeed that Matlock chap. Not sure if I've ever seen an entire episode to really have an opinion on just how he represents the aged.

Many years ago, Andy Griffith had a show called "The Andy Griffith Show". He played the sherrif of a small southern town called "Mayberry". It was either brilliant or stupid, but it is far to fine a line for the average person to decide. I've chosen to walk that line in my own personal path as well.

Victoria, I am not on Yahoo or Aol currently, but if you enjoy being called "Rosie Rottencrotch" as much as I think you do, I could certainly sign up!

edited to correct spelling of "kofi Annon". And to get in one more, "Boutros Boutros Ghali". Damn, that's fun! I'd give him a nobel prize just for his name!

• joelbear
    joelbear

Gomer would say

Bhoutros Bhoutros Goooooolly!!

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Ooops. Sorry Hillary, just realized that my explanation wasn't much of an explanation. Andy Griffith, playing the small town sherriff, was given to saying a long, drawn out "golly" (ghali) about things that astounded him. In case "golly" hasn't made it across the pond, it is a very toned down "God-damn".

• KSJordan
    KSJordan

I think that Gomer was the one that said Golly all the time. Hey remember the time he was going around like a JW Troll shouting "Citizen's Arrest, Citizen's Arrest"??

• TR
    TR

Floyd the barber would say,: A, A, A, Andy? Ya Ya knowwww, Maybe this UN NGO thing is quite good? Hu, hu, huh, Andy?

TR

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
    —Edmund Burke

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit