"It will change your life"

by lost_light06 15 Replies latest jw friends

• lost_light06
    lost_light06

I have to share this. Last night I had an appointment with a lady. I was under the impression that it was regarding life insurance, something I will need to get soon, however there were hints that there was some sort of "business opportunity". So during the meeting with her she explained the insurance coverage as well as investment plans offered. This took only a few minutes, then she broke into the "business opportunity" pitch. I was immediately skeptical of this pitch. In my area there are many JW’s who got involved with multi-level marketing companies. I have been pitched many of these "business opportunities" by close friends and have always been just barely smart enough to avoid them. Anyways, I amused her and let her give her pitch. I will say it was mildly interesting. After the pitch she invited me to a "corporate meeting" they were having last night. After a little prodding I agreed to attend. This is where my history with the JW’s, my enlightening on they’re true nature as a high control group and my research into identifying high control groups once again paid off. I went into the meeting very, very skeptical and I noticed some very real and very disturbing similarities between this "corporate meeting" (i.e. recruiting meeting) and JW meetings.

I’ll list the similarities I saw.

1. The first thing that struck me was how excited everyone was about their company. It was their life saver, the answer to all their financial problems. They constantly mentioned how the product they were selling was helping people, changing their lives in fact. This reminded me of all the JW’s who’s life was "saved" from all the problems "worldly" people face.

2. They handed out all kinds of awards for the most minor achievements like making a sale. They also got "promotions" for recruiting more people into their business. I found this similar to JW’s becoming pioneers, ministerial servants, elders, or even the accolades a person gets when they give their first MS talk or get their first bible study.

3. They had their own vocabulary and used common business titles in un-common ways. Do I even need to say it…. "faithful and discreet slave", Ministerial servants, "little flock", "great crowd", "worldly", etc. etc.

4. They paraded the achievements of the "higher ups" in the company, mentioning unabashedly how much money they were making. They even read aloud the amounts on the checks they passed out to the employees. I thought of all the congregation meetings, assemblies and convention programs where pioneers and missionaries bragged about the number of people they had brought into the fold, how many hours they were able to spend "witnessing", and how many publications they placed.

5. After the meeting everyone was very interested in talking to me and telling me how wonderful the company was and how it had "changed their life". This was interesting in that most of the people had only been doing it for a few weeks or maybe a few months. They kept trying to get me to sign up with the company, it only cost $199, money I was sure to make back "even before my payment check was cashed". Can you say love bombing? The way JW’s surround a new recruit and the meetings, encouraging them to have a bible study or become an "unbaptized publisher".

6. Probably the one thing that made the alarms ring loud in my head was one the lady that invited me asked if I was going to sign up, I told her I had to research the company and the products they sold. I told her I was going to look on the internet. Her words to me were "well just remember that a lot of the stuff on the internet is from people who are upset and they will lie about the company". I knew then and there that there was something very fishy about the whole thing. Sure enough when I looked on the internet the real truth about the company became very clear.

One other thing I noticed was of those people who were already employees almost all of them had a regular full time job, worked 50+ hours/week at their regular job, and were in debt. They were hard working people trying to claw their way towards the American dream and this company with it’s vulture like salespeople swooped in to pick at the carcass of these dying dreams.

In retrospect I wasted about 3 hours of my life last night. I did come away with something though, I now have more confidence in my ability to think critically and to identify when someone is trying to take advantage of me.

~LL06

• DeusMauzzim
    DeusMauzzim

Wow! The similarities...

I sometimes console myself that being raised as a JW (and finding out, specifically :) at least hightened my resistance to scams, sects and slavery :)

Thanks for posting your story!

Regards,

Deus Mauzzim

• changeling
    changeling

I'm sorry for your wasted time, but I'm glad you did not "sign up". Nice to be able to use our brains, isn't it?

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

Sounds like it was started by some x-jws/amway people.

I would never sit through such a presentation. What a waste of time.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff
    In retrospect I wasted about 3 hours of my life last night. I did come away with something though, I now have more confidence in my ability to think critically and to identify when someone is trying to take advantage of me.

You can't buy that kind of insight, my friend. Worth every minute to have discovered you own it now.

Jeff

• willyloman
    willyloman

Thanks for sharing those fascinating similarities. An eye-opening experience for sure.

• Descender
    Descender

Yeah, looking back on the time I was recruited into a MLM company called Equinox, I can see what you're talking about. I was 19 years old and very niave about most everything as most 19 year old witnesses are. My girlfriend at the time, another witness, recruited me into the company.

It had all the aspects that you speak of, the recruitment meetings where the Equinox higher ups would say what a life changing opportunity this was and how fast you'd get a return on your investment. The lady that supervised these meetings was supposedly an ex-Fortune 500 company exec that had seen more opportunity in this MLM business and had jumped in and quit her high paying executive job. We would get to see the checks that people were supposedly receiving in amounts of like $25000 per month and such. Someone would get up in front of the crowd and tell how this business had saved his life and his families lives because now he could afford all those things that his family needed.

So, being the nieve young witness that I was, and wanting to be with my girlfriend, I signed up. I took out a $4500 loan from the bank with my car as collateral, bought product to re-sell from the company and became an Equinox associate. I didn't understand what the company was really about. I sold a few things but didn't understand the upsale requirements on the things I was selling so failed to make a profit on most of the things I did sale because they were already too high priced before any additional charges you'd tack on to make a profit. I brought in a few associates myself, but as soon as they realized what it was about, I never heard from them again.

That was my first experience with a get-rich-quick MLM company and at first I really thought all I had to do was sign up and the money would just start flowing in. But the only way that you could have actually made money in that company was if you recruited more people that were willing to take out loans themselves to buy product and then if they would do the same and recruit others, and on down the line. I, just like 99% of the other supposedly happy rich associates could not make any money with this venture to save our lives. We would have to get up in front of the new recruits and lie about how good we were doing and how great of an opportunity this was so that we'd have a chance to make some money off these new recruits through our downlines. It wasn't actually about selling the product at all, it was all about selling a fake company to get new recruits (ala JW's).

Every Monday morning the associates were supposed to come in to have a group speakerphone meeting with the president of the company. He was a jerk. He'd get on the phone and tell everyone how they needed to do better and bring more recruits into the company, how he and his family were going to take a trip to the Swiss Alps the next week to stay at his personal villa and they were going to fly in his own personal jet. And how, if we'd just try harder to recruit then we could have a piece of all his riches too. I remember an instance where I lady in another office, maybe somewhere in Chicago got on phone and everyone could hear her question him and she said she just didn't feel like this was a legitimate business because it seemed the only way to make money was to recruit more people and not sell the product. Mr. President guy flew off the hook and called her a bitch and told her to get the f**k out and that she was no part of his business anymore. Then he said, "that's how you all can handle a whiney bitch." Everyone laughed and clapped and agreed. I felt really bad about the whole situation, but I laughed as well.

After we got out of that particular meeting, I guess I was in need of a talking to because I wasn't bringing in enough recruits. So I was told to sit down in a chair in the middle of the office where everyone could see. Then the supervisor (Fortune 500 lady) nodded and gave the go-ahead to the girl that had been my girlfriend and she yelled and berrated me in front of everyone and told me that I wasn't a worthwhile enough associate for her to waste her time on and that I either needed to shape up and work harder to bring in more recruits or I needed to get the hell out. So I got up and got the hell out, never to return.

It was basically a $4500 lesson for a 19 year old on why I should never get involved in something like that again, although at that particular time I couldn't see the similarities to the JW's. A couple years after that there was a 20/20 episode on Equinox and a bunch of previous associates were on there talking about how they were going to bring a class action lawsuit against Equinox for being a pyramid scheme. The business filed bankruptsy shorty afterwards.

• What-A-Coincidence
    What-A-Coincidence

Sounds like the meeting I attended for USANA prodcuts http://www.usana.com/dotCom/index.jsp

• Lady Liberty
    Lady Liberty

Dear Lost..

That was really interesting. Now if you were to relay that to a Witness (a family member etc..) they would agree with you in that something was very fishy when you are discouraged to checking the company out on the Internet. Wouldn't most JWs agree that you should get ALL the facts and weight everything out before making a decision? Would they say questions are bad then? Wouldn't they see how biased answers only from within the company would be. Wouldn't red flags go up all over the place?

Now those same Witnesses will be the very same ones that would tell you questioning, researching, the Borg is wrong. AMAZING!!

Sincerely,

Lady Liberty

• daystar
    daystar

Not a wasted night at all in my estimation.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit