Calling All UK ers I'm coming for a visit.

by noni1974 18 Replies latest jw friends

• noni1974
    noni1974

And I need advice on what to see.I'm not coming till next summer but I would like to know what I should plan to go see and what should I stay away from.I'm going to be traveling alone.A single female American.

I want to see London.I know that.I want to see the crown jewels and Buckingham Palace.I want to see the changing of the guard.I want to ride a double decker bus.I want to ride the tube.I also want to go out and see the country side.I'm planning on going to the aposta BBQ next year.I was also thinking of taking the train to Paris while I'm there just to see the Eiffel Tower.Maybe only for a day or so.I also want to see Scotland and Ireland if I can.Maybe only the big citys but I still want to go.

I'm going to get a monthly rail pass so I can travel around here and there for about 2 or 3 weeks depends on the money.I also want to go over to Europe if I can.Since I'll be so close I can't see why I shouldn't.LOL I also here flights are cheep so why not.

What do you think I should I see??

• AlphaOmega
    AlphaOmega

Flight are cheap at the moment.

Get over to Dublin and have a real pint of Guinness.

England...

Find yourself a nice seaside town and have some fish and chips (complete with a '99 ice-cream)

You can have afternoon tea at the Ritz quite cheaply. (Don't eat too many sandwiches - there are plenty of cakes to follow)

Just a few suggestions... I'll think of more if I can.

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo

You'll want to do Stratford-Upon-Avon...Shakespeare etc AND you'll bump into LOADS of your neighbours there I nip there occassionally - it isn't far from me

• AlphaOmega
    AlphaOmega

Miss Midwich,

The last time that I was in Stratford Upon Avon, I remember visiting a sweet shop that still sold sweets by "the quarter".

I also found a shop that sold many different types of Whiskies in strange bottles - you chose the bottle then chose the contents.

Noni,

You might also want to explore an area called "The Norfolk Broads". Hire a boat for the day :-)

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo
    I also found a shop that sold many different types of Whiskies in strange bottles - you chose the bottle then chose the contents.

I know the place ....all weird and wonderful shaped bottles filled from barrels...and oils too. Foreign chappie runs it (can I say 'foreign-chappie, or is that not PC?)

• AlphaOmega
    AlphaOmega

I believe that "foreign-chappie" is a term that comes from the "Carry On" days, therefore it is British.

However, the PC Police ammended it to "Foreign National". So now no-one is offended.

From that, I deduce that the term "Foreign" wasn't offensive, but the term "Chappie" was ???

Anyway, the man that ran the place had a broken arm whilst I was there. I didn't do it.

There must be more to "this green and pleasant land" than sweets and drink ???

Stonehenge ???

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo
    Anyway, the man that ran the place had a broken arm whilst I was there. I didn't do it.

Must be a different shop then - bloke I saw didn't have a broken arm - just a dodgy accent.

How about The Black Country? That's always fun if you fancy learning another language while you're here. There's the glassworks (crystal) - Stourbridge supplies the whole World in cut glass (I'm NOT exaggerating)...

http://www.dudley.gov.uk/leisure-and-culture/museums--galleries/red-house-glass-cone

• AlphaOmega
    AlphaOmega
    Must be a different shop then - bloke I saw didn't have a broken arm - just a dodgy accent.

Maybe God had healed his broken arm when you went ?

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo
    Maybe God had healed his broken arm when you went ?

He should have prioritised and worked on his accent first, lol...

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

If you go to Scotland on the train, try stopping off in Leeds for a day - the Royal Armouries museum is a good place to visit. It has loads of military stuff as the name suggests, but in summer they have jousting competitions, falconry displays etc - and it's FREE admission! Leeds is also good for clothes shopping - designer gear but not at London prices!

AO:

I deduce that the term "Foreign" wasn't offensive, but the term "Chappie" was ???

maybe it's the seeming comparison of foreigners with a brand of cheap dog food that's the problem?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit