I am so angry.....

by minu 25 Replies latest jw friends

• minu
    minu

I am so angry and since I am some of this may not make sense.

I have a sister in law who has recently taken up the pentecostal religion. Before this she was devil/goth child. Now she uses this religion to put down every one else around her including my JW parents. Every time we are in a family gathering, she purposely starts a controversial conversation about religion and of course, my mom and dad take the bait. So then it’s some big religion argument between her and my parents and the rest of us end up either drinking whatever alcohol we can find or watching a movie together but we are not spending time with our parents during our family gathering time.

I do not agree with the JW religion but I don’t agree with her either. You know, it’s not religion in general that I disagree with, it’s the hypocrisy of the patrons that I see in every religion. So how in the heck would do you know what the "true" religion is?! My attitude is this: Believe what you want to believe and stop judging others for what they believe.

Of course, this is just the tip of the iceberg and the other issues I have with her would take up too much of your time. Thanks for letting me vent.

- Minu -

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

Kinda like two one legged woman in an ass kicking competition..

Hope things improve over time.

GBL

• poppers
    poppers

Very often the worst offenders are recent converts to whatever religion they currently subscribe to.

• dedpoet
    dedpoet

Just proves there are zealots in every religion.

I hope she calms down a little soon. Maybe if your mum and dad
    didn't take the bait, and she had no one to argue with, she would
    stop bringing the matter up.

• The wanderer
    The wanderer

Dear minu:

I understand this situation all too well because of
    experiencing it firsthand. A family that I care for
    dearly became "born-again" and to be quite honest
    they were better when they had no religion.

Arguments, conflicts, fights are now the norm in
    that family for all who do not share their views
    or perspectives on matters.

Sorry, but the religious, cult mindset is very
    strong.

I would politely let her know that her approach is
    causing a disturbance without being offensive.

Try secretly taping her conversation and then play
    it back to her at a later date to she what she thinks
    of herself and ask her would she be attracted to some-
    one who's approach was similar.

It worked for me.

Respectfully,

Richard

• minu
    minu

dedpoet: i know. Me, my sis and two bros have told mom and dad this but they keep on going. They think in their jw minds that they will convert her. That's just silly thinking because if they couldn't keep their children in the troof then why are they trying to work on this nutjob?! I guess it would be quite humorous if it wasn't right in my face.

• minu
    minu
    Try secretly taping her conversation and then play
    it back to her at a later date to she what she thinks
    of herself and ask her would she be attracted to some-
    one who's approach was similar.

Thanks Richard. I am going to try this. We are doing another family thing this friday and i'll bring my tape recorder along with me. I hope i don't get found out....LOL

• PEC
    PEC

Pentecostal is just as much a cult as JWs, they shun, judge and lie the same, two pees in a pod. My wife and I didn't get to see our granddaughters for 9 years, saw them 3 time in the next 5 years. The only good thing about it is by shunning us our son and DIL didn't know us and kept regurgitating the same lies over and over, for all those years, the granddaughters could see through them and now we are close.

Philip

PS:

One of the lies was that Barbara come to their house, opened up thier bible and said the pages were all blank and then threw bible agenst the wall.

• minu
    minu

Phillip: I empathize with your situation. I am happy that you get to see your grandchildren now and they see what's been going on.

I hope that my nephew will be able to see the craziness when he gets older and know that I truly want to be close to him. I hardly ever get to see him except at family gatherings which usually are few and far between but now two gatherings in one week. It's a beat down being around her but it's a treat to be able to see my nephew. Guess i gotta take the good with the bad and ugly.

• undercover
    undercover

The real downside is that it probably reinforces to your parents that they have the "truth" when they debate with your sis-in-law.

Anything you may have done to help your parents to open their eyes to the issues with the WTS is being negated by their zeal in defending the "truth".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit