New Here, My Personal Story

by johannahw 27 Replies latest jw experiences

• gymbob
    gymbob

Welcome Johanna!!

You've come to a great place! We all need a little help once in a while, this is where I get mine! Gymbob

• LeslieV
    LeslieV

Welcome Johanna...I love your name it was also my grandmothers..she liked to be called Jo. You found out that the JW religion loves with conditions attached to it. They love you as long as you do what you are told, and you fit in the mold. If you are different, you are treated differently. Hope you decide to stay.

Leslie

• LaniB
    LaniB

Welcome to the board Johanna,

I am another smoker trying to quit so I know how hard it can be. I've also suffered from depression in the past. I left around the time one of the elders told me that I was depressed because I couldn't cope with life like normal people. A lot of christian love there.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

regarding smoking, I have this information. I used to live with a bipolar man, for seven years. He wouldn't take his med very long, would get to feeling he didn't need it. When things got really bad and he couldn't cope, he would go buy a couple of cigars and smoke them. I thought it was his way of soothing himself. However, I came to a point in my life where I was severely depressed and exhausted. The psychiatrist I saw put me on lithium for a few days. He said you can exhaust the lithium in your brain, and it is hard to get enough from food alone. I felt great in a few days - but I wasn't bipolar. However, here is the interesting thing. According to the doc, tobacco is a source of lithium, more lithium than is found in food, so my bipolar friend was self-medicating. Don't you think that would make it harder for you to quit, even when you want to quit and have tried very hard to quit? Maybe when you are more stable and have taken your med long enough, the urge to smoke won't be so strong because you'll have more lithium in your system.

My psychiatrist was the only one I have ever heard this from, although I did see on a government list of nutritional information that tobacco indeed is a source of lithium. So if anyone else has an opinion, or more information, please don't hold back!

• FreeGirl2006
    FreeGirl2006

Welcome Johanna! Thank you for sharing your story.

• PEC
    PEC

Welcome Johanna.

Philip

• Lady Liberty
    Lady Liberty

Dear Johanna,

WELCOME to the forum!

We are glad you found this forum, and hope you find love and support here. I am sorry you have been through so much! HAng in there, as we are glad to have you here!

Sincerely,

Lady Liberty

• moshe
    moshe

Welcome to JWD and thanks fro sharing your experience with JWs. They definitely can't be bothered with people who are not "level mood" and need to be given something called compassion.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit