* Invitation to Follow Christ Convention/ Ridiculous *

by FlyingHighNow 24 Replies latest social entertainment

• Dragonlady76
    Dragonlady76

121 miles....that's all?

When I was a kid our DC's were in Hialeah Florida at the race track, we lived in Tampa, this was over 190 miles each way for us, I remember that we never really took family vacations because my folks used the DC as our vacation, we had to rent a car since ours was old and unreliable for long drives and then we had to book a hotel to stay at.

They don't give a rats ass how far people have to drive or what they have to give up.

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

Man, why don't they just hold Conventions on Mars already? That's nice and far away.

I'm pretty sure that the invitations are just to keep the JWs busy. Nobody in their right mind would drive hundreds of miles just because they recieved a Convention invitation in the mail. The one here was about 100km outside the city. Gas is too expensive to waste on this life-saving message.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Nos, Mars, you made me smile. That's a great idea! Yes, gas prices. Have they checked them lately?

Is, the JW writers carefully leave out information. For instance, I found out that early Christians used evergreen as a symbol of ever lasting life and brought boughs into their homes during winter.

Here is a point: do you think God is petty?

Religious Symbols in Culture

Over-emphasizing the relevance and importance of religious symbols can lead to conflict. Consider the tensions raised in France during 2004/5, following the banning of Muslim headscarves, Sikh turbans, Jewish skullcaps, large Christian crucifixes, and other conspicuous religious symbols that don't blend into secular state schools4. The 'headscarf issue' resulted in just a handful of school expulsions but more damagingly generated ill-feeling, divided the country and achieved nothing positive.

But far from being an example of a "Clash of Civilizations?" (Samuel P. Huntington: 1993), this could be more accurately described as an ignorance of civilizations ("Civilizations Never Clash. Ignorance Does Clash" by Prof. Eiji Hattori: 2004), where too much emphasis has been placed on religious symbols, to the point that they are used as excuses for prejudicial, negative (or positive) discrimination.

And if we look into the origin of many symbols, we see they often a have very shaky basis for being considered religious at all. Take for example the veil.

• poppers
    poppers

I found a flyer for the convention in my door yesterday. I was home all day and they didn't even bother to ring my doorbell (I know, lucky me). On the back there are bullets highlighting some of "the many subjects that will be featured..." The one that jumped out at me was: Who Are the Real (in italics) followers of Christ? It's that sort of comment that must stick in the craw of all those fake followers of Christ.

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

Poppers..just for the record John Knapp used the ex JW's ..He claimed he wanted to to help the ex jw's (Breaking the cults hold) but also charged fees..I just thought I would post an update of what happened to him for any that thought he was such a geat guy..

Summaries of Regents Actions
    on Professional Misconduct and Discipline -(More to follow)

"John Knapp, Bloomington, IN

Profession : Licensed Master Social Worker; Lic. No. 071643; Cal. No. 26202

Regents Action Date : January 14, 2014

Action : Found guilty of professional misconduct; Penalty: Revocation.

Summary : Licensee was found guilty of practicing his profession with negligence, as well as with incompetence, on more than one occasion, and of unprofessional conduct."

ALSO:
    http://phtherapies.wordpress.com/2014/02/16/update-john-knapps-nys-social-work-license-revoked/

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit