* Invitation to Follow Christ Convention/ Ridiculous *

by FlyingHighNow 24 Replies latest social entertainment

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

While I was visiting my friend last evening. On her table was an invitation to the Follow Christ Convention for Jehovah's Witnesses.

Now I know that Evelyn's sister is a JW from Chicago, so I figured that is who the invitation was from. But wait, Ev said the JW's had dropped it by that morning.(Her grand daughter pipes up and says, "JWs are a cult.") I turned it over and looked at the back. The convention is in Saginaw, Michigan! Over 121 miles away. Good grief. And it promised to tell us who the Real Followers of Christ actually are. If that doesn't make people want to jump in the car for a three day convention, I am sure the Full Dress Bible Drama will.

121 miles! I can't believe it.

Oh and I guess they are hip to the criticism by so many that they are not a Christ based religion. I never thought they weren't a Christ based religion. He was always more real than the elusive, faceless monster Jehovah. But the criticism is there none the less and I guess they need to save face.

Gosh, without Jesus, they might lose out on some converts. Gotta have converts to make up for all the tens of thousands they kick out or who leave. Kicking people out or driving them away the way they do seems akin to shooting one self in the foot. Makes about as much sense.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Oh and please, your sarcastic replies are welcomed here. Bring 'em on.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Wow, I might just a thread here started and kept going soley by me. That might be a first. Anyhow, I think the following article surely must be written by a JW or an apologist:

Thousands respond to Witnesses' invitation

http://www.c-n.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070705/FEATURES01/707050306/1022

An artist's rendering of Jesus Christ was the featured illustration on the invitations used by Jehovah's Witnesses to advertise their 2007 "Follow the Christ!" District Convention, and people responded.

Thousands of people, Witnesses and non-Witnesses alike from Union, Middlesex and Monmouth counties came to the Jehovah's Witnesses Assembly Hall in Jersey City for a three-day event that focussed on what Witnesses believe is a vital need today: to imitate Jesus Christ in all matters of life.

Many of the non-Witnesses who attended the convention had received the invitation personally during a three-week distribution campaign by the Witnesses. Among the many subjects featured on the program were the following:

• God's Word is "Alive and Exerts Power, on Friday afternoon, an audio presentation of a dramatic narrative. The production re-enacted for the listening audience a few of the thrilling events of Jesus' earthly life and ministry, based on chapters 4 and 5 of the Gospel of Mark.

• Husbands, Wives, Parents, Children -- Follow the Model! presented on Saturday afternoon, highlighting the role of each family member. All were exhorted to apply the Bible text at 1 Peter 2: 21 in their respective roles and thus contribute to a happy, successful family.

• Who are the Real Followers of Christ? was the thought-provoking title of the public talk presented Sunday morning.

Local Witnesses were thrilled with the outstanding turnout for the program, with a peak attendance of 4,076.

"Nowhere else can you find those who can explain how following Jesus Christ benefits both individuals and families alike. It was truly a pleasure to be around so many positive and encouraging people for three full days," said James Graziano, one of the convention's organizers.

The Witnesses were particularly delighted to welcome 27 individuals who joined their ranks by getting baptized in an ordination ceremony on Saturday. Witnesses view baptism as a vital step in following Christ's example.

The three-day event ended Sunday at 4 p.m. The audience showed appreciation for the convention with prolonged applause.

Joel Taylor, also a convention organizer, said, "Many convention delegates have expressed appreciation for the fine Bible-based discourses focusing on following the Christ in every facet of life.

For more information, contact Troy Fernandez at (917) 362-2682.

-- Submitted by the

Jehovah's Witnesses

Office of Public Information

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee
    "Nowhere else can you find those who can explain how following Jesus Christ benefits both individuals and families alike. It was truly a pleasure to be around so many positive and encouraging people for three full days," said James Graziano, one of the convention's organizers.

What an ignorant statement!

• misanthropic
    misanthropic
    (Her grand daughter pipes up and says, "JWs are a cult.")

This part made me laugh, smart kid.

• poppers
    poppers

From FlyingHighNow: "Wow, I might just a thread here started and kept going soley by me. That might be a first."

I've got you beat. I started a thread on July 3 and got ZERO responses - not one, even from me. Seems like I should win something for that.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Oh:

-- Submitted by the

Jehovah's Witnesses

Office of Public Information

• exwitless
    exwitless

Where I'm from (lafayette, IN), there were NEVER conventions closer than 100 miles away. In fact, around 1994 was the last DC they actually had in the state of Indiana (at Notre Dame). After that, we Hoosiers all had to haul our asses to Chicago, Springfield, Louisville, or Dayton. All of which are a minimum of 3 hours drive. That was one reason I hated going to conventions. We'd usually would have to drive up the night before to stay in some bug-infested filthy hotel. The alternative was to get up the day of the convention at about 3 a.m., pack our bags, put on our dresses and suits, and drive for 3-4 hours to get there by 8:30, only to find that every blasted seat in the place was being "saved". Ahh, good times; good times.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    I've got you beat. I started a thread on July 3 and got ZERO responses - not one, even from me. Seems like I should win something for that.

Gosh, I wonder if I saw that. Can you give me a link? I'll comment on it. I can't seem to bring up anyone's post histories right now.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    After that, we Hoosiers all had to haul our asses to Chicago, Springfield, Louisville, or Dayton. All of which are a minimum of 3 hours drive.

Yes, when I lived in the Atlanta area, we always had to drive to Macon, Chattanooga or Birmingham. But can you imagine inviting people who aren't JW's to drive over two hours, three days in a row in the summer heat, to find out who the REAL followers of Christ are? How ridiculously insulting.

• Share this

Google+
    Pinterest
    Reddit