• badwillie
    badwillie

For anyone who's interested, here is what I wrote:

Watchtower Bible & Tract Society of New York
    25 Columbia Heights
    Brooklyn, NY 11201-2483

10/15/01

Dear Brothers,

I am one of Jehovah’s Witnesses associated with the XXXXXX, PA congregation.

On October 3, 2001 I found some information that was deeply disturbing to me personally and spiritually.

On the website of The United Nations (www.un.org) the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society (WTBTS) was and is still (as of the writing of this letter) listed as a Non-Governmental Organization (NGO) affiliated with the Department of Public Information (DPI). At first glance it seemed as though this association of the WTBTS with the UN could be reasonable and logical.

However, some of the criteria to be met by an organization in order to achieve NGO status are the following:

"… encourage political participation at the community level "

"The Department of Public Information and NGOs cooperate regularly. NGOs associated with DPI disseminate information about the UN to their membership, thereby building knowledge of and support for the Organization at the grassroots level."

These are the statements that were so troubling to me. I called the UN to verify that all the information was correct, including the fact that the WTBTS was indeed an NGO.

I would greatly appreciate your clarification of four points:

1) What was the purpose of the WTBTS association with the UN as an NGO?
    2) Why were the congregations of Jehovah’s Witnesses worldwide not informed of this relationship?
    3) In October 2001, why was did the WTBTS seek termination of this almost 10 year old relationship with the UN? (see enclosed copy of faxed letter dated 10/11/01 from Paul Hoeffel, Chief – NGO/DPI Section, United Nations)
    4) Why did the DPI make a decision to disassociate the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society of New York as of 9 October 2001?

I thank you in advance for helping me to reconcile this apparent contradiction of belief vs. practice.
    I know your answers will be helpful in overturning the recent charges of hypocrisy that have arisen in the press recently over this matter. (see enclosed article from The Guardian 10/15/01)

Sincerely,

Brother Confused

• Fredhall
    Fredhall

Nice toiletpaper Badwillie.

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

so, Fred, the senior complex allows you guys to touch computers?

• kenny2
    kenny2

when you get the reply, please forward to my great great grandchildren.

• MacHislopp
    MacHislopp

Hello Badwillie,

these few lines to express my

appreciation for your letter addressed to the WTBS.

A very nice letter, ...mild and straight to the points,

requesting simply some ...answers.

May I ask you to use it as a base for my correspondence

to the WTBS? Of course it'll be slightly modified, to

adapt to my personal situation. I'm sure you won't mind.

I'll post the one I'll be sending in the main thread :

"United Nations, NGO's and the WTBS "!

Btw, would you be so kind to post your nice letter too?

Thanks again, ...and let's know about any answer.

Greetings, J.C.MacHislopp

" One who has an accurate knowledge
    of God's Word will have no problem
    in refuting false religious ideas".

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns

A perfect letter. Well outlined points and questions and non-confrontational enough to hopefully get a reply.

I hope to use a similar simple and concise format. Thanks.

Path

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

Well I wrote a similar letter to the US some days ago, so I really don't get it, why it's such a big deal that someone writes a letter. But OK, let us see how the replies are, and compare.

• gotcha
    gotcha

since i'm planning to write a letter to the bethel branch here i'm wondering if you guys used your real name and address (which i think you didn't)coz i'm quite hesitant in doing this..since i'm still in this might cause my dfing or questioning and i would not want that..do you think that it would be ok to use my friend's (non-jw) address and make the letter anonymous?? since i live in a small country and being that almost everyone knows everyone my address would definitely be recognized..

• MadApostate
    MadApostate
    ...encourage political participation at the community level...

As has been pointed out previously, this excerpt comes from the paragraph which defines what a "non-governmental organization" is and does, and to "encourage political participation at the community level" is only one of the "possible" activities which a ngo may be involved in.

Such activity is not one of the "criteria" for a ngo to "associate" with UNDPI, and to state or imply such in a letter to the WTS does nothing but "hand them a club to beat you over the head with it".

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

Well, how do you expect to get a reply if writing anonymously ? :-)
    Man, use your name - there's nothing in this whole world to be afraid of, except Bin Laden, Bush and the Devil!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit