LONG discussion with my parents. (long post of course)

by LtCmd.Lore 38 Replies latest jw friends

• Marcel
    Marcel

LtC!

wow! i can feel you fully. im carrying that thinking with me since my late teenager times (im 26 now, baptised with 14). of course they growed over the time. unfortunately i didnt find the way out yet. i dumped all the goals within the congregation time by time (i was short before MS too) and im not visiting regulary anymore and have minimum service time effort.

i talked with my mother the other day about a similar topic but tried to keep it low. but of course she sensed the critical thinking of mine and was a lil upset. i have great fear of leaving. i fear losing everything thats important to me.

my wife knows everything about my thinking, but cant understand it either. its the truth and everything i say is viewed under the light of the doctrine only. its the same reasoning like your parents use. for every question there is a "just-add-water" watchtower response.

i can feel your pain, man!

marcel

• inbyathread
    inbyathread

Wow! I wish you the best.

Here is an observations:

Mom: "The Bible's not infallible, but it doesn't have any mistakes."

Mom stated a double negative. If the Bible is not infallible, then it is fallible. Get her to state for herself that the bible is fallible. Get a dictionary out and have her read the definition of this word and then state in her own words what it means.

I asked an elder (PO at the time) if the Bible was inspired. His response was 'Yes'

I then asked him is the Watchtower was inspired? His response was 'No'.

"Then why are we told to goto the Watchtower first when gathering research. He couldn't answer.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Nicely done, LtC Lore.

I would like to address something you said:

(Crap, now I'll get fired when I leave.)

Wouldn't that be RELIGIOUS DISCRIMINATION? If you are in the US or any other part of the civilized world, that may be illegal, and you might be able to complain to the government and sue them if they fire you after you leave the Borg. Keep a work-related diary for this purpose and if you get written work reviews, SAVE THEM. You are going to show that your job performance didn't change, only your religious affiliation changed, and you were fired.

Or, you can just move on with your life, but it is better to leave some smoking wrecks to mark your passage.

• erandir
    erandir

Awesome...I so much wish I would have been more logical, did my research fully, and wasn't so impulsive. I was like your mom who did the research and yet still joined.

You seem to have it all together. I wish you all the best in your pursuit of that baptism annulment.

Wishing I could annul mine, too, but can't since I was 25 when it happened,

Erandir

• unique1
    unique1

I had similar talks with my old man. It really sucks when you realize there is no way to get through to an otherwise intelligent person. It is like banging rocks together. I feel for you. I know how much it hurt me to realize that there was no getting through. Hang in there. (((HUGS))).

• eclipse
    eclipse

Lore, you are the smartest, wisest young man I have ever met.

You will kick ass at whatever endeavor you undertake.

• juni
    juni
    Wouldn't that be RELIGIOUS DISCRIMINATION

It is according to our Constitution nathannatas - my opinion is that it's not worth the cost monetarily or emotionally in most instances to right the wrong. Working for Witnesses I have found is not good. Most who do "get burned" just leave and find other work.

You are amazing Comm. Lore! I have talked w/you at Gabbly and have read your posts here at the forum. You are very intelligent, but more importantly (in my opinion) very warm hearted and a good person. Your discussion w/your parents was respectful and logical.

Isn't it something how JWs go around in circles w/their reasoning? Though I used to do the same thing to "protect" mother and therefore be pleasing to Jehovah.

THE BIGGEST STEP is to get JWs to see that the WTB&TS and the FDS do not = Jehovah's organization . It's hard because the mindset is in concrete. Perhaps though you might have started them thinking; you never know Lore.

I wish you the best always.

Peace be with you, Juni

• dawg
    dawg

THe simple fact is, there is nothing in the bible that says you don't have the right to question men and that if you do your family should shun you and call you an apostate... I'm no bible believer but it simply isn't there... in fact, this teaching is against what the Bible says... it says not to trust men and to worship God alone. They're overstepping their authoritiy when they say that they as men can't be questioned and by so doing you're "apostate". This statement is blasphemy period! Blasphemy is impious references to God, when they say that speaking out against men is apostacy, then they're saying they're on par with god and are equals. Blasphamy plain and simple, not to mention this can't be backed up with scripture peroiod! Try and ask them where the Bible says that questioning men makes one an apostate and therefore one to be shunned.., dumb bastard Paul was very specific when he stated the reasons for "not talking to a man" and speaking out against men isn't one of the reasons to shun.

• juni
    juni

Excellent point dawg!

• SWALKER
    SWALKER

As a parent of a teenager, I remember this discussion!!! It took me a while to figure it out for myself but my son has saved himself years of agony! (Some of my answers were probably along the same line as your parents...it's very hard, if not almost impossible to realize that you can have an opposing thought to the Watchtower Gods!)

Finally free,

Swalker

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit