It looks like the "generation that shall not pass" is almost extinct

by neverendingjourney 20 Replies latest jw friends

• blondie
    blondie

Not really. Many people today are living into their 90's and 100's. I haven't time but I'm sure that someone can find a website that projects how many people are alive today in that age group.

I have a request in to a statistician because I have no time today till later tonight.

in the UK alone 409,000 people are 90 and older.

http://www.helptheaged.org.uk/NR/rdonlyres/972B5831-4587-4EB6-A1E0-D3E15A8CEFF6/0/demographicfactsheet.pdf

Table 1: Breakdown of UK Population by Age Group and Gender (individuals and millions, rounded)

50+

60+

65+

70+

75+

80+

85+

90+

100+

Male

9.3m

5.6m

4.1m

2.8m

1.7m

Female

10.9m

7.0m

5.5m

4.1m

2.8m

1.7m

Total

20.2m

12.6m

9.6m

6.9m

4.5m

2.6m

1.1m

Source for UK, Scotland, England, Wales and Northern Ireland, Office of National Statistics mid-2004 Population Estimates (2005) at http://www.statistics.gov.uk/statbase/explorer.asp?CTG=3&SL=4819&D=4912&DCT=32&DT=32#4912

• DannyHaszard
  • Black Sheep
    Black Sheep
    It looks like the "generation that shall not pass" is almost extinct

That is what my father said to me to try to scare me into signing up with the borg a few days before I joined this forum.

For 52 years my family had wanted me to study the Watchtower and his statement finally triggered me into doing just that.

Now that I am studying the Watchtower my family has refused to supply me with current litterature.

Cheers

Chris

• greendawn
    greendawn

The JWs gave up their literal understanding of the 1914 generation but even before their opinion that most of that generation would pass away before the end, was flawed. Most of the generation would be there to witness the end and likely this applied just to the Jewish generation of his day rather than the global generation at the end of times.

• justhuman
    justhuman

And WT is on the way to extinct, with the new 'light;...

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

It doesn't really matter how they define "generation" now. The point is that the way they defined it for 80 years turned out to be false. They went from door to door promoting this viewpoint, and condemned anyone who didn't accept it. This makes them false prophets, by their own definition.

• 38 Years
    38 Years
    The point is that the way they defined it for 80 years turned out to be false. They went from door to door promoting this viewpoint, and condemned anyone who didn't accept it. This makes them false prophets, by their own definition.

Well said!

• flipper
    flipper

Neverendingjourney, my dad now 82 an elder, always mentions when he visits us, well you know the ends getting close.. It's closer than ever. Does he mean his end or the end, end? I remember him telling me as a 16 year old in 1975, you know you might not get married till the paradise. Fast forward to 2007. Now I'm almost 48 on my third marriage, my kids are all early 20's, and weirdly enough, within a year or two I could be a grandfather!! How long do the witnesses feel they can dupe these people into believing this bs? As long as people can keep sending donations, wills, sign over estates,inheritances, etc. to keep the org. floating, they'll get new light from upstairs that tells them that really Russell made a lot of miscalculations. The new last days start at 2014, not 1914. Ya know, typical 100 year blunder. LOL, Peace, Mr. Flipper

• Open mind
    Open mind

I did some Googling on this a while back on a thread I did about whether or not JF Drunkerford's talk/booklet: Millions Now Living Will Never Die had been statistically proven wrong yet. One poster said that those listening needed to be of an age of understanding. So since the talk was given in 1918 and we put the age of understanding at 6, I was looking for how many people over age 95 are still alive.

Here's my non-statistician stab at it from that thread.

As of 2005, there were only 1,740,432 people aged 95-99 on the planet. Here's the link.

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/peo_tot_pop_age_959-total-population-age-95-99#source

And as I posted earlier: "In 1998, there were 135,000 centenarians in the world." Here's the link again:

http://www.un.org/NewLinks/older/99/older.htm

So 1.74 million (aged 95-99) plus 0.13 million (age over 100) = 1.87 million people on the planet over 95 yrs old as of 2005.

So...................as of 2005, there were less than 2 million people alive on the planet who were of an "age of understanding" during Da Judge's talk (even though almost none of these people actually heard the talk). Now, if EVERY ONE of these roughly 1.9 million people are deemed worthy of survival through the Big A (another big leap) and the Big A comes TODAY (yet another big leap), Da Judge was still a BIG, FAT, (USUALLY DRUNK) LIAR!!!!

(End of excerpt)

If you want to see the whole rambly thread in all it's non-glory, here it is:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/12/135312/1.ashx

Open Mind

• Wordly Andre
    Wordly Andre

what an awesome story, that old guy went through a lot, my grandma's brother lied about his age and joined the Navy during WW2 served in European theater.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit