Time and Distance - a Guy Thing?

by compound complex 21 Replies latest jw friends

• AllAlongTheWatchtower
    AllAlongTheWatchtower

Yes. I also keep a little record book in my glovebox, and record mileage, gallons, etc every time I buy gas. New tires, oil changes, etc go in the book, too. Driving from Virginia to Maryland, which I used to do on a regular basis, I would try alternative routes, and compare actual road miles to time traveled, in an effort to determine which way was more efficient. For a while, just for the hell of it, I experimented with finding the absolute shortest possible route, and kept trying different little country roads, shaving a mile here and a mile there...eventually got bored with it, as the back ways often took longer even though shorter distance.

At work, people will often ask or compare the cheapest gas stations they've seen recently...I always am the one who knows the cheapest; a place that is almost always about a nickle less than anywhere else in the area. Nobody wants to go there but me though, as they say it's too far. Immediately responded, "Oh no, it's only 5.1 miles, whereas the one you go to is 1.2 miles, which isn't that much difference, and worth the .05 x 12 gallons = .60 in my opinion. Got very strange looks..."You MEASURED IT?!!" Me: Well, yeah!

• Mysterious
    Mysterious

Haha with the price of gas maybe more people should be making such calculations.

• Pubsinger
    Pubsinger

I do it to find the most efficient route for regular trips.

Have you ever noticed that your mind plays tricks on you?

For example:

How many people take a particular route when travelling TO a certain destination but always RETURN a different way because it's "quicker"?

I check the mileage for both routes. Take into account the time both take (obviously the shortest isn't always the quickest).

Then I ALWAYS use the same route even though my mind plays tricks and tries to tell me the other route is quicker.

I only do this once though so it's not OCD

• Pubsinger
    Pubsinger

It's only OCD if you have to post it three times.

• Pubsinger
    Pubsinger

• Pubsinger
    Pubsinger

• misanthropic
    misanthropic
    but are there others out there who measure time and distance when they travel - anywhere? I understand the occasional setting of the travel odometer to check your auto's mileage. However, I consciously and persistently check the travel time and distance to the market, to town, to a client's home, etc. Every time and every day.

I always do as well as going different routes to places to make sure I know which way is the quickest and closest. I also have to reset the odometer every time I fill up my tank to make sure I'm getting the same mileage per tank each time (of course summer month I get less because of the A/C) but I know lots of people who never reset theirs and I'f I'm in the car with someone and they fill their tank but don't reset theirs I have to do it for them.

• restrangled
    restrangled

Coco, this thread is so funny!

My OCD is time in general. I know exactly how long it takes to go anywhere and I always add 15 minutes for traffic delays, or any other unforeseen circumstances, hence I have never been late in my life. I never write any of this down just have it in my head.

The problem is, everyone I know is always late, dilly-dallying until the very last minute and then in a panic because they are hitting every red light, the idiot in front of them isn't driving fast enough, or low and behold they've been stopped for speeding.

By the way, I take great pride that I have never been ticketed or had an accident in my entire driving history (32 years) which in turn nets me fantastic insurance rates.

r.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Dear Funny Figure Fanciers,

I worked out of town last night and hit the sack at 4:54 a.m. I just now got up - 9:59 a.m. I rise and fall to numerical palindromes. It is not planned - it happens.

When I'm a little more awake I shall examine the quantitative aspects of your zany but estimable commentaries and see what it all adds up to. Yes, that's exactly what I meant: I am to going to count all the letters in your posts and divide the sum by a divine, yet-to-be revealed figure, and prove to you that CTR was actually correct about events in the stream of time.

Do please allow me sufficient time to do my analyses and projections.

Did I ever tell you that you're my heros?

CoCo Compulsive/Compulsive/Compulsive/Comp................

• White Dove
    White Dove

Hand towel in the bathroom: must hang longways down and be straight. Reasons: may fall of rod if hung sideways.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit