What's your take on "stumbling"...

by Frequent_Fader_Miles 24 Replies latest jw experiences

• Frequent_Fader_Miles
    Frequent_Fader_Miles

The phrase "cause for stumbling" often left me bewildered. To me it seemed to be only an excuse for the elders to tell you what to do counsel you and impose their own opinions on you. Maybe I did something in the past that "stumbled" someone, but aren't we all able to make our own decisions when it comes to conduct and choices ... at least we should be, especially if it isn't regarding something inherently wrong. Doesn't the "stumbler" have the choice to do what they want to, while the "stumbled" person have the choice to be/ not to be "stumbled"?

• MadTiger
    MadTiger

I had a problem with that.

Where is the line? Who decides?

If it is not specifically in the Bible, who is to decide?

• Mum
    Mum

If I stumble, it's probably because I had too much to drink, and I take fullll responsibililitaly..............

SaNdRrrrrrrrrrrra

• Open mind
    Open mind

The more people I can stumble out of "the truth", the better.

Open Mind

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

that is one of the crappiest control mechanisms they have - making you responsible for other people's decisions. Grown ups can observe inappropriate behavior and decide not to do the same thing themselves. For all those worrying about being stumbled, I say grow the f*** up and take control of your life.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Let's just say, my Dad started calling me the Iconoclast when I was just a boy. LOL!

• MadTiger
    MadTiger

And remember:

We are usually talking about things that are supposed to be matters of conscience.

If it is a definite wrong, then what the f*ck are you bothering me for?

If it is a conscience matter, " " " " " " " " "

• little witch
    little witch

FFM

That is the most original and witty user name ever on the forum, I just love it. (Hello, and good to meet you by the way).

Now as for the "stumbling" thang..... My opine is this. All members are to be cookie cut. Fit in or you find yourself pointed out. labeled, derided, chastised, and deflated. Diversity or individuality are not only not tolerated, but used as examples as the worst possible of assosiations. Stumbling Others (tm) means that one has leaned onto the next domino. And we all know what that leads to (independant thinking, apostacy, and worse)...

More importantly, the borg knows what it leads to as well. Stumble on ex jw's.....stumble on.

• Hannah
    Hannah

I was told that if you stumble someone you could be held "blood guilty". That would be unforgiveable.

Actually, what's unforgiveable is instilling this type of fear into people.

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

We had a CO once who actually told us that we can't stumble others, nor can we be stumbled ourselves. His point was that we are each accountable for ourselves. I agreed with it, but I remember thinking how it totally contradicted everything we had been taught up to that point. What was worse is that nobody else seemed to notice this fact besides me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit