Grammar test what is wrong with these sentences ?

by 5go 30 Replies latest jw friends

• John Doe
    John Doe

Sentence two contains only one error. Just because it sounds off to you doesn't mean it's not grammatically correct. I see that most are saying that "solved" should be "solve." Well, solved does work in the sentence. Try removing the first verb: "(1) If people (2) had solved the energy crisis,(3) it might (4) of been a lesson to humanity." Sound better now?

• 5go
    5go

Select the correct error. No sentence contains more than one error. If No Error exists, then select number 5.

Johnson (1) has (2) no equal as a salesman; his commissions are (3) larger than those made by almost any other (4) salesman.
    1has
    2no
    3 larger than
    4 salesman

no error

Select the correct error. No sentence contains more than one error. If No Error exists, then select number 5.

(1) If people (2) had helped solved the energy crisis,(3) it might (4) of been a lesson to humanity.
    1 If
    2had helped
    3it
    4of

no error

The student (1) thought that (2) the lecturer had (3) referred (4) to The Communist Manifesto.
    1thought
    2the lecturer
    3referred
    4to

no error

He (1) has always been negligent (2) about his health, and he (3) is feeling the (4) effects of his carelessness.
    1has always been
    2about
    3is feeling
    4effects
    5no error

The Answers to the qusetions.

• 5go
    5go

Number 1 I can not fix

Number 2 of should be have

Number 3 had been reffering to, Which is more than one problem

Number 4 about should be with

• Leolaia
    Leolaia
    Sentence two contains only one error. Just because it sounds off to you doesn't mean it's not grammatically correct. I see that most are saying that "solved" should be "solve." Well, solved does work in the sentence. Try removing the first verb: "(1) If people (2) had solved the energy crisis,(3) it might (4) of been a lesson to humanity." Sound better now?

Of course it sounds better. But that is because you removed the other finite past tense verb, which is the whole reason there was an error. Basically, the second verb "solved" is in a dependent clause and thus should not be finite (hence helped [to solve], infinitive; the elision of "to" in the present sentence obscures the fact that the verb is infinitive). Otherwise, it would be like saying I wanted found an answer (as opposed to "I wanted to find") to this problem.

It sounds grammatically off because it is wrong.

• poppers
    poppers

I came up with the same thing as snowbird.

• 5go
    5go

Johnson has few equals as a salesman; his commissions are larger than those made by almost any other salesman.

If people had helped solved the energy crisis, it might have been a lesson to humanity.

The student thought that the lecturer had been referring to The Communist Manifesto.

He has always been negligent with his health, and he is feeling the effects of his carelessness.

My best guess at how it was supposed to look like.

• 5go
    5go
    If people had helped solved the energy crisis, it might have been a lesson to humanity.

I do agree solved is wrong. It should be solving, not solved.

The test did say there is only one mistake per sentence though.

• 5go
    5go

Thread killer 5go.

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

What a strange thread. First, it was confusing, then it became ridiculous when it was obvious that some sentences had more than one error. Then the "correct answers" just aren't. "Helped solved?" Give me a break!

I'm a newspaper editor and writer, and these examples remind me of a lot of the releases we get. Poor sentences poorly put together.

We have found consistently here at my paper that the worst releases, those with the most superflous words and number of mistakes, come from two sources: teachers (high school especially), and librarians. It's a little discouraging at times to get a release from a high school teacher or a school, and find it filled with grammatical and spelling errors. It's not unusual to be able to take a paragraph or two and reduce them to one, concise sentence, saying everything the paragraphs said, only better.

5GO, I would not put much time into studying any test from this source!

S4

• What-A-Coincidence

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit