Grammar test what is wrong with these sentences ?

by 5go 30 Replies latest jw friends

• John Doe
    John Doe

See if you can find the problems ? There is only one problem in each sentence.

1: Johnson (1) has (2) no equal as a salesman; his commissions are (3) larger than those made by almost any other (4) salesman.

2: (1) If people (2) had helped solved the energy crisis,(3) it might (4) of have been a lesson to humanity.

3: The student (1) thought that (2) the lecturer had (3) referred (4) to The Communist Manifesto.

"The Communist Manifesto" should be underlined.

4: He (1) has always been negligent (2) about his health, and he (3) is feeling the (4) effects of his carelessness.

I see nothing wrong with sentence 1 or sentence 4. There are many stylistic improvements that could be made, but everything appears grammatical.

• John Doe
    John Doe

I take back what I said about not seeing a problem with sentence 1. The term "salesman" has been classified in recent years as sexist and is now considered to be ungrammatical. The term "salesperson" or some other gender neutral term should be used.

• DazedAndConfused
    DazedAndConfused

1: Johnson (1) has (2) no equal as a salesman; his commissions are (3) larger than those made by almost any other (4) salesman. (salesmen)

2: (1) If people (2) had helped solved the energy crisis,(3) it might (4) of(have) been a lesson to humanity.

3: The student (1) thought that (2) the lecturer had (3) referred (4) to The Communist Manifesto.

4: He (1) has always been negligent (2) about his health, and (now) he (3) is feeling the (4) effects of his carelessness.

• 5go
    5go

Ok, I do not feel bad anymore. I believe the test is wrong. Few of you have come up with the answers it gave.

• 5go
    5go
    4: He (1) has always been negligent (2) about his health, and he (3) is feeling the (4) effects effect of his carelessness.
    Stylistically it would also be better to replace "and" with "so," to better causally link the present progressive state to the habitual of the first clause.

This is exactly how I answered. It is wrong though acording to the test.

• 5go
    5go

To give you a feel of what the was like here is the format.

Select the correct error. No sentence contains more than one error. If No Error exists, then select number 5.

Johnson (1) has (2) no equal as a salesman; his commissions are (3) larger than those made by almost any other (4) salesman.
    1has
    2no
    3 larger than
    4 salesman

no error

Select the correct error. No sentence contains more than one error. If No Error exists, then select number 5.

(1) If people (2) had helped solved the energy crisis,(3) it might (4) of been a lesson to humanity.
    1 If
    2had helped
    3it
    4of

no error

The student (1) thought that (2) the lecturer had (3) referred (4) to The Communist Manifesto.
    1thought
    2the lecturer
    3referred
    4to

no error

He (1) has always been negligent (2) about his health, and he (3) is feeling the (4) effects of his carelessness.
    1has always been
    2about
    3is feeling
    4effects
    5no error
  • Leolaia
    Leolaia

Where was this published in? The second sentence has two big errors. Very sloppy work on the part of the publishers.

• 5go
    5go

Then I am only wrong because you and the textbook (?) authors say so. No reason = no credibility

INQ

Yes, the views of the test do not reflect mine.

• snowbird
    snowbird

I don't know how to do the strike-thru's and highlights, so I'll type the sentences as they should be written.

1. Johnson has no equal as a salesman; his commissions are larger than those made by any other.

2. If more people had helped solve the energy crisis, it might have been a lesson to humanity.

3. The student thought the lecturer referred to the Communist Manifesto.

4. He has always been negligent of his health and is now feeling the effects of his carelessness.

• 5go
    5go
    Where was this published in? The second sentence has two big errors. Very sloppy work on the part of the publishers

http://www.4tests.com/exams/exams.asp

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit