More fanatical?

by Agnostic Front 7 Replies latest jw friends

• Agnostic Front
    Agnostic Front

Hi all, i came to this site a few months ago looking for some advice regarding my involvment with a JW girl, i was under the impression that love was the most important thing in a relationship and that we could get around the whole 'she's a witness and i'm not' thing, the responses i received soon cleared my head of those thoughts! I've since made the break with Elizabeth and feel so much better, although it was a painful thing to do, I still bump into her every once in a while and receive an endless stream of JW literature and invitations to various gatherings in the post, the latest being a three day convention, i read the stuff and become more convinced with every one that i've done the right thing. I'm still trying to work out how otherwise intelligent people can be sucked in by this BS, i hope one day that she may see the light, not so we can get together but because she's a great person. There seems to be a massive difference between witnesses in the US and Canada and those from the UK, our american cousins seem much more fanatical, why is this? Thanks to all those who took the time to help me out, maybe i can appeal to your good nature for some more help understanding what has become a most interesting topic for me.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Welcome to the board, I'm glad the board was of used to you. I'm sure there are ones here willing to help you with your interest.

Josie

• Sheepish
    Sheepish

You are so fortunate you got loose. You save yourself so much grief.

Maybe we Americans are just pushier somehow...or maybe because JWdom was invented here! :)

• Flowerpetal
    Flowerpetal

welcome to the board....

• Gopher
    Gopher

Hi AF -- a belated welcome.

I think overall Americans care more about religion than Europeans do. So the JW"s here in America reflect that attitude, they almost have to in order to hold up against the other religions here.

Also the fact that JW's are an American-based religion, invented here and the headquarters are still here may make the JW's here have even a greater affinity for their organization than they would elsewhere.

• 38 Years
    38 Years
    maybe because JWdom was invented here! :)

I agree. I think it's because Russell got his religious influences here and launched it here.

• bigdreaux
    bigdreaux

hey agnostic, welcome back. i agree you probably made the right choice, no matter how much it hurts.

as for people getting sucked into this b.s. you may be surprised to learn, it's easier to trick rather intelligent people into believing things. i'm sure most will agree, most witnesses are rather intelligent, just misguided. smart people will believe things for not so smart reasons. if you are truly interested in learning about this, i can hook you up with websites that explain mind control. as you read about it, you can see the witnesses use almost every mind control tactic out there. it's not conspiracey theory, it's real science. i don't know how much you got involved with the witnesses, but, when you start reading about mind control tactics, it all makes sense.

• Mum
    Mum

Ah, young love. It is usually women who are the ones to expect love to conquer all and cover everything. But love is not the whole relationship by far, and it's good that you learned that.

Most of us here used to be JW's, so we know the mindset that you would be pressured to adopt. Apparently, intelligence has nothing to do with it, as many here who used to be true believers are obviously very intelligent. Many were brought up that way and don't have the imagination or desire to know anything different. It reminds me of what Dear Abby (an advice columnist in the U.S.) said about young folks going steady: It's like the fly in the vinegar jar who thinks it's the sweetest place in the world because said fly has no concept of honey.

It's good that you still see your JW ex and that you're still on friendly terms.

Wishing you the best,

SandraC

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit